rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
and trying to be as close as possible to organic is hard, especially in a swampy property in Kentucky. She does her best. Those wethers will serve her family well.
Next year I'd like to raise wethers for us, but they won't be organic. We're conventional and I like my alfalfa, and I'm sure it's gmo if the sellers don't specifically state it's "organic".

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, weight taped Pete's doe kid crop from the week of January 19th (scale needed it's AAA batteries changed for the first time since I got it, bad timing). They're all coming in at between 84-100 lbs now. I may breed them live cover in December for kids to sell so I can weed through them for udders that aren't perfect and do some goat subtraction instead of just addition. I wouldn't mind if it was $ubtraction in the name of hay/grain money but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. If I have size concerns I may use a dwarf buck if he can reach since our straight Lamancha kids tend to run large but I would not mind seeing how Aramis' genetics play with Pete's.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm having kind of a frustrating problem to work on this week/two weeks. The remnants of my last delivery of hay are molding in my big barn. It's not to the point the goats can't/won't eat it yet and we only have like 10 bales left, but my alfalfa isn't looking so great anymore and even the round bales are getting dusty. I'm assuming it's because it's been raining at all times for the time it has, keeping the humidity so high everywhere (80%+) with no air movement anywhere so it's the conditions everywhere and is probably normal for here but this really has me concerned. And it's right before I get 200 more bales in. I'm not sure what to do. I could skip the alfalfa because it seems to be faring the worst and just feed the rounds, but that would be a step down in nutrition and leave us vulnerable to parasites (the theory protein is needed to replace protein has served us well). We've ordered barn fans, but when it's wet everything organic in my barn is molding. I've been going to war with my Sam's club commercial spray disinfectant solution killing it back, but this building is not healthy. Not sure what to do.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fence company just called and left a message. They want to start tomorrow or Monday. Right when I was feeling sorry for myself and more than a little resentful of someone always by default listening more to other people than his wife and me getting to take the brunt of the consequences for it. Maybe things will turn around.