rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
they would be full sized, not itty bitty cutesy bits of a goat.
What, no overly serious, self important, loud little drama queens?
They have their perks. What I've experienced is they take a 4 gallon batch of cheese that with all standard milk would yield just under 4 pounds of finished cheese and make it a 5 pound cheese. Some of them do make as much as a FF standard (but they eat more than a standard to produce the richer milk) and they tend to be the 80-90 lbs ones and not the little show princesses. Those are the ones I've been tracking down. Also, they're the goats that if they're allowed they will be allowed in cities if we are forced to move...even though they are louder and harder to contain and should not be considered starter goats for beginners. Plus, I've only met a few down to earth breeders of them that stay in the breed for more than the time it takes them to realize that even if they buy the most trend following stock, running a goat mill does not work. Those breeders are the ones that change things and develop consistency. I'd like to try. If there's too much bull shirt in the water in that pool...I love my lamanchas most of all...I'll have ND with milk records to let go.

Earlier we called the company that put in our well when the house was built. The previous customer had had them come out at one point and test and rejected their recommendations hence the mess the water was in. They did everything on the recommendation for us except install a new wellhead, as they said the UV light will take care of the coli form for us just fine. Our pH has been adjusted, water softened, and string filter changed because it needed it after 3 months of trashy well water. They told us the softener and pH adjuster should help the string filter last more like a year when they'll need to change the pH adjustment limestone but to feel free to contact them or change it sooner if we notice anything and to check the salt system regularly. Just like replacing the roof, hopefully this will protect us from more leaks, but if the pipes are just to corroded, we'll be watching.

Still working on getting our basement put back together after the pipe leaks the previous owner left us with (from letting the house freeze when they left for the winter and leaving the water acid).

The fence guys are still fencing away. I'm not sure they'll be done today either. We have a LOT of fence to replace and according to the contractor neighbors we have they're doing a very good professional job as a fence company should. (I also think the neighbors are happy we're not trying to get cheap or free labor off them like the last people did, yuck) I'm really glad I'm not out there trying to learn how to fence. I left myself a garden area for that.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are officially full on round bales. Now onto the alfalfa bales on Saturday then we're good for winter.