Raising calves on goat milk

Vumani

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a small herd of dairy goats that supply us more milk than we need. My brother-in-law is a cow dairy farmer and has suggested I raise a bull calf or two using the excess milk from the goats. If feeding goat milk to the calf does the milk still need to be diluted with water or could I give it to him straight? Would the ration size need to change?

redtailgal

Reaction score
http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2952-bottle-calves

The above page talks about raising calves on replacer, but I would follow the same method using goat milk instead of the replacer and ease up to full strength. Goat milk is a little richer than cow milk and a baby could scour if your not careful.

Other than that, I think goat milk for a calf would be just fine (certainly better than replacer).

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We didn't dilute it. :gig

IMG_0323.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
OH MY GOODNESS! That is adorable!

PIC of the week thread material!!!!

:lol:

Vumani

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's awesome! That way I don't have to worry about getting the milk out in the first place! :thumbsup

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:ep I LOVE IT!! :love

That's just downright adorable. Vumani, you should definitely try that, if one of your does will let the calf nurse!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
That has to be the best pic I've seen on here - just fantastic - maybe we should have a goat or two as my kids keep begging.