Ram scare

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so glad my sheep don't have horns and that the ram, or any of them, have never tried to plow me over...If he ever did, he'd break my knee, since he's at that perfect height... :/
It does make me iffy about getting a new ram in 2015...

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think the horns made it easier for me to thwart his attack. Good handles.
Just his head would have been hard to grab and hold onto I think.
Seems when that instinct and sex drive kicks in they behave a bit different sometimes

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have non-aggressive rams (they are the ones I keep!). My ewes are all with their peaceful rams. However,I noticed a massive ram sniffing around my dainty little girls.....the neighbour's untamed and ungentlemanly over-sized ram had jumped a couple of 6 foot fences for their attention.

Sometimes you can't win!

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is the first time in a year of having this ram that he has acted out at me.
I will see how things go. If it continues then he will be replaced.

snowk

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am so glad that you are ok!! I have only had my sheep for about 6 months, but so far my boys have been down right cuddly. Their original owner was really clear about never underestimating what the rams were capable of. I never go in the pen alone, and when one of us is in the pen the other distracts the rams. I would like to say that they are the exception to the rule, but actually I think that they are waiting for us to be distracted for even just a second. You have just reminded me again that they are not to be taken lightly! Thank you, and be safe.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think that we humans fail to key in on things that trigger animals response. Then we tend to be shocked and surprised when they do the things they do.
If we think on it long enough we eventually figure it out.
In my case I am thinking Rambo was acting aggressive because I put the mature bucks near them, where he could see and smell them.
I am learning alot about these animals. And yup. No matter what always keep an eye on em.
Or bend down putting your head at their level. LOL Caught myself doing that one day. I was messing with a bucket. Then looked up and realized I should not be doing that. The lord looks after us newbies is all I can say.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
snowkExploring the pasture

Joined:Aug 12, 2012Messages:9Likes Received:4Trophy Points:16Location:Indiana
New

I am so glad that you are ok!! I have only had my sheep for about 6 months, but so far my boys have been down right cuddly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just a little advise from an old timer...
Don't cuddle any livestock. Give them a pet or a scritch and move on. It is not a good thing to have large animals coming over to "love" you. They will look at you as one of their own. And I've seen all my sheep butting each other. Ewes, or rams.

Only time my rams ever get mean is when there are ewes in estrus around them and there are other rams or even wethers close by. They aren't pushy to me but will fight with each other for long periods. I've had to work them with my border collies to get them to stop or seprate them.

I carry a training stick, it isn't big or heavy but a good wapp on the side of the face (not the forehead) will have most animals thinking twice about coming at me. I don't really like to touch my sheep to much unless medicating them or checking them over for whatever reasons. I love my sheep but save my pets for my dogs!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a little advise from an old timer...
Don't cuddle any livestock. Give them a pet or a scritch and move on. It is not a good thing to have large animals coming over to "love" you. They will look at you as one of their own. And I've seen all my sheep butting each other. Ewes, or rams.

Only time my rams ever get mean is when there are ewes in estrus around them and there are other rams or even wethers close by. They aren't pushy to me but will fight with each other for long periods. I've had to work them with my border collies to get them to stop or seprate them.

I carry a training stick, it isn't big or heavy but a good wapp on the side of the face (not the forehead) will have most animals thinking twice about coming at me. I don't really like to touch my sheep to much unless medicating them or checking them over for whatever reasons. I love my sheep but save my pets for my dogs!

I very strongly disagree with this statement! There are good and bad ways to handle livestock, but being able to handle them easily is extremely important.

We have up to 60 sheep during the summer months and they are handled frequently - even the rams. Most of our sheep are very friendly and will come right up to you for attention. We do not tolerate aggression towards people and they are taught as lambs how to behave. We have NO aggressive rams. Why? Because they learn early on to trust and respect us. They are still rams and not completely trust worthy, but I have never been afraid to go in the ram pen.

We show some of our sheep so most of them are halter trained at about a month old. That right there is probably the biggest step in establishing your relationship. The learn to yield to you. Because of all the handling we do, we can take pretty much any sheep in our barn anywhere with very minimal stress to the animal. Our sheep go to the fairs and settle right in. You look around the barn and see everyone else's sheep fussing and jumping around....ours are hanging out, chewing their cud.

Our sheep are better animals because they are handled and pet and loved on all the time. Because we spend so much "cuddling" with them, we much more aware of each sheep's normal behavior and it makes recognizing injury and illness so much easier. When folks purchase sheep from us, they always comment on how calm and friendly they are.

I like being able to walk through my barn of napping sheep and NOT have everyone jump and run because I walk by.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My sheep don't run from me and I think we are not on the same level when I think of cuddling.
I cuddle my dogs. In my lap or all over my body. I don't think I could eat my own lamb if I made pets out of all of them. I can't eat what I've named. I could never eat some of my old ewes. To much personal interaction with them over the years. I know to much about their personalities and really do develop a bond with them.

I might scritch or hair pick (hair sheep) my ewes. I don't keep them totally away from me but, I feel when someone makes a sheep feel to comfortable around humans they tend to treat the human like other sheep. And they aren't always nice to other sheep.
If you teach your's to respect you along with cuddling then that must be working for you.
I don't like sheep mobbing me when I come out to check on them. Looking up and seeing why I'm there, but that's about it.
My ram(s) can be handled but lets just say neither one of likes it other than a quick scritch. If I'm all handy with them they think they are going to be treated for some ailment. Not their favorite thing.

I am able to worm, check feet or what ever need be by just standing amongst them with a dog holding them together (trained livestock working dog) most don't fight but don't like to be medicated or handled to much. I can also walk right up to my mamma's or lambs for a few weeks after birth without momma's getting upset. But within a few weeks they become like the rest of my sheep, I'm the feed lady with benefits but not a loving companion.
Maybe if I were a show person it would be different. I've never shown a sheep so don't know.

Nothing better than a late night lamb check while sheep are laying round chewing their cuds. I could stand there watching them do nothing or sleeping for a long time.

But again, I don't recommend cuddling in the same since you'd cuddle a kitten or a dog. But that is only MHO and what I do.