Ram vs. Goat

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Every moment you spend with an animal is teaching something. "Play time" by pushing on a buck's or ram's head is TEACHING them to play back at you by butting or ramming, so why would you want to teach them that?
Both can butt or ram you, both can hurt you. The best buck or ram is the one you never turn your back on. I had a ram that was out to get me. The one thing he was scared of was a plastic grocery bag so if he tried to get me, I pulled one out of my pocket and shook it at him and chased him. I grew weary of him popping me every time I let my guard down, so off to slaughter he went. Just not worth it to keep a dangerous animal. Pushing on their head, ram or buck is a stupid thing to do.
I’ve never had a problem with goats when pushing back on the heads but not here to argue I was just here to put my personal input
Have a good day!
goodbye!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is supremely irresponsible to tell a newbie that pushing a buck's or ram's head is playing. Not all bucks or rams are well behaved, finding out the hard way is not fun.

I have a ram, one in ten million. We drove a long way to get him and I would go twice as far in a heartbeat. He is a love bug, is never aggressive and my little granddaughters can go in the lot with him. He comes up for rubs and scratches. I do not push his head-ever. He has even bred a ewe standing right next to me, then wanted attention and scratches. Not many like him! I never tell other people to treat their ram like I treat mine. That would be a recipe for disaster. Just because I have an exceptional ram doesn't mean that other rams would act like mine.

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is supremely irresponsible to tell a newbie that pushing a buck's or ram's head is playing. Not all bucks or rams are well behaved, finding out the hard way is not fun.

I have a ram, one in ten million. We drove a long way to get him and I would go twice as far in a heartbeat. He is a love bug, is never aggressive and my little granddaughters can go in the lot with him. He comes up for rubs and scratches. I do not push his head-ever. He has even bred a ewe standing right next to me, then wanted attention and scratches. Not many like him! I never tell other people to treat their ram like I treat mine. That would be a recipe for disaster. Just because I have an exceptional ram doesn't mean that other rams would act like mine.
And this is completely true I was not tell her to butt her ram aswell I gave her suggestions was not forcing her. And a lot of the times no matter if she pushed his head or not most goats will jump up and try to head but anyway just for instinct but it was just an option :) so here I’ll change option 3
So my option 3 for you would be to entertain a goat would be tires they love to jump on tires I hope I could help you newcomer ! Have a great day sorry to bother you and your thread

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have three different bucks were pretty docile, both were bottle raised by me. However the first one would everyonce in awhile try to rear up and head butt me. The second buck has never try to head butt me he has cut me off or had a look that he wanted to challenge me but chasing him or a water to spray him works wonders for me with that goat. The third buck we had we got rid of after a few days he was friendly until he would try to get you with his horns or flat out head butt you. I never have had sheep but on member would post pictures of torn up metal gates that his ram destroyed. I have yet to have a goat do that. That being said two of my more docile bucks don't have horns and were raised by me the more aggressive one I bought as an adult i would be cautious of buying an adult because of bad habits. And normally if you play head butt a goat male or female they do learn to head butt. I have one doe that my just about 8 year old who is very tall for her age. Isn't to go near as the people we got her from kids taught her to head butt. She doesn't head butt me just the kids so they arent to go near her.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never play with a ram or buck's head. Just don't.
When they get in trouble and do something dangerous or very undesirable you have to take them to the point where they think "oh no, I messed up" and keep them there to reinforce your "no". Often you have to reteach the lesson multiple times every few weeks until you're sick of it and would rather butcher the animal. To encourage bad behavior is not fair for the animal and stupid for you. I'd imagine getting submission/doubt would be near impossible on a big animal and would/should result in the animal's demise.

Both can headbutt. They are made for that and it would hurt. I'd say a ram would do more than a dwarf buck or a standard. Goats don't typically back up to butt. They more often rear up into the air and slam down. Not how I want to get involved with a buck.

However my problem bucks so far have been dwarves and they tend to bite rather than butt-exposed skin if your shirt comes up, back of the calf above the boot, or trailing hair like pony tails. Those bucks are gone. Taking them to the "oh no"/submission point every few weeks was obnoxious. My 200 lbs lamancha tend to be more respectful.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to agree - whether male or female, sheep or goat, you don't ever want to encourage one to think that butting you is an OK thing to do, especially if you have children around. The animal may be playing, but people can still get hurt. Shoot, my goats occasionally knocked me down during scuffles over food, and they would never have dared to butt me. They knew me as a provider of food, treats, pets and scritches, but they knew I was not a playmate and definitely not a toy. I had one wether that would stand for ages, slamming his head against fence posts or walls apparently for the fun of it; pound for pound, they can be more destructive than horses, and that's going some!

Last edited:

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have to agree - whether male or female, sheep or goat, you don't ever want to encourage one to think that butting you is an OK thing to do, especially if you have children around. The animal may be playing, but people can still get hurt. Shoot, my goats occasionally knocked me down during scuffles over food, and they would never have dared to butt me. They knew me as a provider of food, treats, pets and scritches, but they knew I was not a playmate and definitely not a toy. I had one wether that would stand for ages, slamming his head against fence posts or walls apparently for the fun of it; pound for pound, they can be more destructive than horses, and that's going some!
I agree these animals are not playmates. And to encourage head butting is just plain foolish and dangerous. I have 2 Nigerian Dwarf bucks, both love treats and being petted. They have never attempted to butt me. I've been knocked about more from my females scurrying for treats than my bucks. And one doe I swear does it just for fun. I now carry a Shepherds Crook with me and anyone that gets within 2 feet of my knees gets whacked. They have all become much more respectful and my knees are thankful

stgarrity

Just born
Reaction score
We use a neighbor’s Boer buck to breed our small group, and over the years he has gotten more aggressive as he grows up. I’ve learned he hates being sprayed with water, so anytime I’m working around him I just keep a sprayer nearby and soak him if he starts coming at me (rearing up, charging, etc). He’ll knock you over quickly and we don’t let kids around him. Thankfully he’s only here for short periods of time.

We’ve also got a yearling Suffolk/Hamp ram who’s been gentle as can be until the last few weeks, when he’s wanted to play. The first time he hit me (not enough to knock me over but it wasn’t his usual nuzzle, it was a clear headbutt) I was in the middle of a pasture and just open-handed slapped him ... he’s only done it once or twice since and always gets water or a slap, and it seems to have stopped (fingers crossed) although I’ve stopped turning my back to him. :)

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And if all else fails, remember; Goats aint for everybody!!!
While on the ranch in N.Dakota we had a couple at different times. Bunny, our Nubian doe had never ending health problems that kept her from conceiving, she was docile enough but not worth the effort and she taught us what good jerky goats make!

Along the way a guy i worked with had a buck he wanted to get rid of so we took it in, thinking it would be good company for Bunny. Well, that thing was the most despicable creature i’ve ever seen. He had no interest in bunny but would try to breed my dog, the sheep and probably the chickens if id of let him. He’d chase the kids etc.☹️

it was customary to park under a tree in the front yard to keep the car out of the sun and he took to hopping up on the hood to forage on the limbs he could reach.😒
One day my friend (ward) asked me how the goat was doing and my reply was “Ward, by now your goat is a coyote turd”. He didnt ask further and i didn’t elaborate.😊