Randall cattle

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does any one have (or know someone who has) Randall cattle? I first learned of them about 4 years ago. I joined the Randall forum but hardly anyone goes on there! So I just thought I would see if anyone around here knew anything. anyone?? lol

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about them and am INFATUATED with them. They're soooo pretty and great dairy cows with decent beef qualities, but the only place I've seen much info about them is on the ALBC website.

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank You. I guess I will just keep searching! I also am infatuated with them. I first saw them in a Hobby Farms magazine and just thought they were the most beautiful thing that I've ever seen!

Electric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have one Randall Cow. She is amazingly gentle. And I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. I came across her in an auction one day, and got her for 96 $ :)

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh my! how lucky for you! what an awesome find that must have been! Do you ever sell any of her calves?

Electric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I sold one to the man that lives down the road from me, she was crossed with a Dexter (mini cow) And she was like a mini Randall. ! And her last calf was a still born :( She is due in may though ! :D

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are these the Randall Lineback cattle? I am pretty sure that is the correct name for the ones I saw at Old Sturbridge Village last fall. They were very pretty, calves learning to be oxen that worked. Part of using rare breeds, getting them in front of the public that Old Sturbridge does. Williamsburg in Virginia also does rare breeds, has some BEAUTIFUL oxen, but can't remember the breeds making the cross.

The Randalls I saw were blue roan, excellent markings and quite attractive.

Electric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes , the full name is Randall Line back cattle.

Black Tie Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I heard that they were just called Randall's. That they dropped the line back part because people thought they were related to line backs and in fact are not.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The ones I saw had wide white stripes on the spine and back areas. Rather like skunks. Extremely noticable stripes, very attractive with the blue roan of the rest of the animals. Hence the line back part of the name.

The folks I talked to ALL called them Randall Line Backs as the correct breed name, and that is the complete name when you hunt for breed information.