record keeping

Vickir73

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
can anyone give me an example (or picture) of how they keep their records for their goats? Right now I have 6 goats, each has it's own excel spreadsheet tab. (Since my herd is still very small, I'm not willing to buy software that will do this for me) I have their name, their dam's and sire's name (if I have that information), birth date, breed, color, etc. I will try to post a picture below. Can anyone suggest changes I can make that would make it easier for me to keep up with all their information? As I just obtained everyone a few months ago (and they just kidded) I have only just given everyone their CDT injections and will be using my calendar on my phone (and Outlook at the office) to calender when the next CDT is due. Does anyone do it differently that would be more efficient for me? I figure there's got to be a better way, because I'm going to run out of room for the medications pretty quickly

6599_goats.jpg

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have two binders, one for all the goat information I have collected and printed off the internet. It's broken down into subjects, i.e.: Dewormers, kid care, feed, etc. Whatever you want to keep info on.

The other binder is for the goats. I have a cover sheet on each goat broken down into information pertaining to that goat.

I have a separate sheet that lists dates wormed, other meds given, whatever health information you want to keep track of.

Elevan has posted some samples of her record keeping sheets and that's what I use.

I also mark on my "goat calendar" when stuff is done so I can have an "at a glance" record on a calendar. I check behind myself because I can't remember when I ate last. LOL...

I bet she would post them again if asked.

DonnaBelle

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i keep a heath sheet on all my goats, their name, date of birth, shot records, weigth, breeding dates, breed to, kiddings, wormings. I also keep one calender on counter for di-mithox dates on my kids, so I don't forget, I look at the calender every morning, to much work to go on computer and try to see and keep it caught up. I weigh my kids every month so I know dosage amount on med's and to make sure they are gaining. the calender works the best for me.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I have several ways I do it. I am VERY pound of my record keeping and I will try and find a way to put them up here. I made my own!

Is there anyway I can get something in Microsoft Word up here? Thanks!!

Vickir73

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
K, there may be another way to do it, but here's how I did it. I printed one page of my excel spreadsheet to .pdf. I then took the .pdf and saved it as .jpg and then was able to upload it here.

Donna, thank. I've printed off so much material from this site I was wondering how to save it all - it never occurred to me to make a separate notebook and that's funny because at work, I'm the queen of making notebooks :) I'll see if I can find Elevan's info by searching, if not I'll ask her. Thanks!!

Poorboy, when you weigh once a month (let's just use the 1st of each month as an example) do you write everyone's name down on the 1st and their weight on a monthly calendar (i.e. you have 20 entries down on the 1st) or do you list the 1st of each month on each individual goat's page? (does that make sense?) if I list every month on each individual goat's page, that information is going to get pretty lengthy.

My bottom line issue is that I don't have a computer at home, so I need to keep track of the information here (on my office computer) and print it out to take keep it at home. I'm afraid before too long the pages for each goat is going to be quite voluminous so I'm looking for a condensed way to keep all the information. Does that make sense? or should I just realize that I'm going to have tons of paperwork to keep track of?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
My dad just uses a notebook. He has a page for each goat with the information on them. When he bought them, birthdates, breeding dates, kidding dates (with how many and genders, etc). I'm not sure if he lists the vaccine dates in there since I haven't looked at it in depth. He has always kept the handwritten notes on his goats.

I am planning on having a notebook and something on the computer too for a backup. I have a small herd though so it would be easy to just handwrite it all.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Once you get the binders set up, it's not all that much work. If you are going to take care of goats properly, you need to have records of what they have been treated for, and when. There are days when I don't touch the binders. Some days I might spend 10-15 minutes, no big deal.

Even if you only have 3 or 4, you need to know deworming times, CD & T dates, and other pertinant information on each goat.

I deworm each goat on an as needed basis. Regular scheduled deworming eventually results in worm resistance to the dewormers.

Much like the growing problem of human resistance to antibiotics due to overuse.

DonnaBelle