Red Cell?

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me the uses for "Red Cell" and how to administer it?
Amounts and causes for use...just askin`, cuz I bought some to keep in my Goat Medicine Cabinet...just in case :idunno
As with anything in this cabinet, I hope I never need it! :fl

Thanks in advance Ya`ll! :thumbsup

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I typically drench it. Although you can also top dress over the feed.

I use the same dosing that Helmstead does - except that I figure at 2 cc per 25# (easier math for me :p )

It's typically used for anemia. But if you need to give your goat a boost and have nothing else, it will work for that purpose too.

Note that you shouldn't use it for long periods of time because the high iron content will interfere with copper absorption in your goats.

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I looked at the ingredients online and it showed meat products, but I don't think the bottle at our local Big R store had it listed in the ingredients. Have they removed meat products/by-products from it? I'm considering using this myself. Ariel's eyelids are not as deep a pink as I think they should be. Fecal came back clear. I've treated for lice, but maybe I need to treat again. In the mean time I want to address the anemia as I assume that's what's causing the pale eyelids.

Besides worms, what else can cause the pale eyelids? Lice and mites - anything else? How often do you have to treat to break the life cycle on an external parasite? It's very frustrating to me - she's still shedding, skin flaking like crazy and now the pale eyelids.

Sorry, I got off topic - but would appreciate any extra info you have on Red Cell.

Thanks.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
I looked at the ingredients online and it showed meat products, but I don't think the bottle at our local Big R store had it listed in the ingredients. Have they removed meat products/by-products from it? I'm considering using this myself. Ariel's eyelids are not as deep a pink as I think they should be. Fecal came back clear. I've treated for lice, but maybe I need to treat again. In the mean time I want to address the anemia as I assume that's what's causing the pale eyelids.

Besides worms, what else can cause the pale eyelids? Lice and mites - anything else? How often do you have to treat to break the life cycle on an external parasite? It's very frustrating to me - she's still shedding, skin flaking like crazy and now the pale eyelids.

Sorry, I got off topic - but would appreciate any extra info you have on Red Cell.

Thanks.
Regarding the lice - you need to treat, then retreat in 10-14 days and then sometimes retreat in another 10-14 days (depends on how bad your infestation). You also need to remove all old bedding and treat the bedding area with a dust and apply new bedding. You should treat everyone when lice is an issue.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Red Cell no longer contains ruminant parts, so it's OK for ruminants again. Not labeled, of course, but...well, yanno.

I use it at 1ml/10lbs of bodyweight for about a week straight if I've got someone with white eyelids. I've been known to hit smaller kids (30-40lbs?) with a full 6ml syringe for a week w/o any apparent adverse effects..