reducing trauma of second disbudding

digger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you to those who have given me feedback on the second disbudding. I have another question. My daughter (these are really her goats) was reading posts on another forum and they talked about how a second disbudding to remove scurs is very traumatic to the goat because of its age. (we're at 8 weeks now) Some said the goat should be taken to a vet and anesthetized (I'm against this); some said there was an increased danger of brain trauma from the heat because it takes longer to burn.

So my question is, do I need to take any extra precautions or give the goat anything (other than tetanus antitoxin) to prepare? My thought was that if I maintain contact for no more than 6 seconds at a time, and allow a minute or so for cooling between, there shouldn't be brain trauma. What about giving the goat anything for relaxing them and reducing the stress and trauma?

Finally, this is now a wether (banded 3 weeks ago) so no more hormones. I know nothing is guaranteed, but how likely is it that the second burn will remove the scurs permanently? If she decides against burning again, how good are the chances that they won't amount to anything with this being a wether?

Sorry for all the questions; just trying to help her make an informed decision. Thanks!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I've seen it done, and the poor guy was not quite right for awhile. But he had *real* horns growing back after a bad disbudding...so it was a long burn.

If the scurs wiggle, just grab the with pliers and twist them off. Yeah, he'll yell, yeah it will bleed a little bit...but eventually (like after doing this a few times) they tend to quit trying to grow back.

If you do decide to reburn, I'd give banamine and dex to ease pain and inflamation.

jessica5254

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would not try a second disbudding. it is very traumatic. In my earlier years with goats I had horns removed when they were about 8 inches long and the goat was anesthetized. It was the worst experience with goats. The crying is like listening to a baby cry, and I cried right beside him. I felt sooooooo bad and guilty for putting him through such a traumatic experience. Good Luck.

Latest posts