Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all. We had a lovely day.

Generac is getting hooked up. Bryan will finish Monday. DS1 had to take the electric conduit through the attic since apparently Bryan has a snake phobia. Horrified when a giant snake shed fell out of attic (we have collected several of them for our grandchildren). DS1 said it was a rat snake but about 8' long. That would explain why we have found no mouse or rat droppings around the house. I think we will name our house snake - I am thinking "Bob". LOL

DS1 is doing repairs around the house. He is trying to find a part to repair the leaking spigot near the patio. We may need him to return to California ASAP. DD2 went to turn on the shower in the family bath and the handle broke off. She and DSIL2 bought replacement tub/shower fittings but ds1 called and told them to return it since they only needed a small part to fix it. Apparently, it had broken several years go and DS1 had replaced it. Unfortunately, the only store that has the part is closed over the holiday weekend. Luckily, DD2, and ourselves are the only family here over this weekend. Monday we have to get the part and DS1 can talk someone through installing it. I could have done it but now I remember that I am going to be relaxing under heavy drugs on Monday. 😵‍💫

Got a call last night from a man wanting to buy several White dorper rams. Only a month too late! LOL He is about 3 hours north of our place in California. He wants to put them on 200 St. Croix ewes. I told him that I could look up the registration paperwork and send photos of them. DH could bring them back in August. I think he wants registered and I have about 4 or 5 I can sell that will be old enough to breed in October. Gave him a price but may have to raise it if I have to get health papers and Brucellosis tests. Might do Codon testing at the same time just to see what comes up on that. I also told hm to check with Wes Patton for rams. He might have some.

We were going to take the gold cabinet over to DD1's today but have to wait until 4pm. She said yesterday to come over after 1pm. Today at 1:20 she called wanting to know why we were not there because DSil1 had to leave at 1:45 to tutor someone. We had asked if they wanted to play cards after we brought it over and they said yes. Apparently, they made a mistake about their scheduling. We will take it over at 4pm.

I cancelled the rug pick up since I still need to move all the stuff DD2 has piled on it in the dining area. Once the gold cabinet is out of the room, all that stuff can be moved to the living room end. Then the only things to move will be the tables we have our computers on, and the card table with the printer. The small rug will come to Texas with us, but the large run will go into the Connex while I check out auction houses. The rug man suggested checking out Sotheby's. The auction percentage is 20%, but if we can get a large enough, I will pay it. I will send the Chinese rug first to see how that goes.

Tonight, I begin the 3-day shower routine with the special disinfecting soap. I have to be at the hospital in Santa Monica by 5am on Monday. o_O At least I will be able to sleep during and after the surgery. I will wash the sheets on Sunday so they will be clean when I come home Monday. Checked in the freezer for the freezable ice packs I will need for my knee, and found two. May need more, although plastics bags of frozen veg works too. I brought plenty of PJs that will be comfortable to wear in bed over the bandages, drain tubes, medication tubes, etc. I will wear a loose dress to the hospital - easy to slip on to come home. I don't need to bring the walker to the hospital. I also found my cane. Everything is ready - except me because I hate having surgery!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got up this morning to news about Hurricane Beryl which is about to attack Texas right at our friend Kris' new beach house that he bought to run as a BnB! Texted him at once and he said they were just leaving it. He must have gone down to hurricane proof it. It sits on stilts and on a rise above the sand so hopefully it will survive. I hope so because our family is planning to rent it for a family reunion there in a year or so. LOL

Next DH dragged me out to watch the hurricane news and apparently Beryl has changed course to travel north through Texas and right into Yantis and Sulphur Springs before hitting Arkansas. By then it will have become a tropical storm instead of a hurricane. One good thing about it coming ashore is it will hit Brownsville where a lot of the illegals are crossing into Texas. ;) Maybe it will reduce the number of illegals entering although most of them seem to be crossing through California now - Thanks Governor Gruesome.

Next, while I was washing the sheets and getting dressed and worrying about going under the knife again 🫨 I even thought about calling in and saying that I couldn't come because of the hurricane. Had to slap myself up against the side of my head when I remembered that the hurricane is in TX not CA. :rolleyes:

DS1 sent me some pix of a couple of the ram lambs we were not sure about keeping and there are a couple looking pretty nice. I will send pictures to the potential buyer although he may have called Wes like I suggested. I would love to sell several rams, but DH would have to haul the gooseneck back to CA with them, and I am not sure if it would be worth the gas $, vet certificates and Brucellosis testing on 2 of them. And then we would have to make another round trip to pick up our trailer since both trailers would be in CA.

Got the gold cabinet over to DD1's yesterday and of course she immediately asked if I knew there was a chip in one of the glass shelves. I did and it was there when Gammy gave it to us so too bad. I think I have some "liquid glass" that is used in making artificial flower arrangements that I might be able to use to disguise the chip. If I get time and feel like it, I will see what I can do. In the meantime, I told her to move that shelf to the bottom level where it will be less noticeable. We still have to take the antique tea cart over to her house. Now I can start moving all DDIL2's stuff over to the other end of the living room so we can roll up the rug for the guy to pick up for cleaning.

EXCEPT I put my back out yesterday loading a box to take to DD1's house. I pulled a muscle and could hardly move. It is better today so I will try to move a few things. I will move the items I am planning to take back to Texas in the dining room end since I don't have that much more to take back.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why not invest in a camper top/"cap" for the back of the pickup and transport the lambs that way? Surely there would be a way to fashion a ramp if they are too big for DS to pick them up.... They are not that terribly expensive, if not allowed to get banged up would resell easily... they are sooooo useable for stuff that you don't want to get wet and get one tall enough so you are not scrunched down when putting stuff in or having to get stuff out....
If nothing else, they make a good shelter roof for animals if set up on a 2x4 frame a few feet off the ground too.... like a bottle lamb pen roof nearby .....

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still have the truck bed crate that I used to get sheep from @Baymule. You can have it, @Ridgetop, and borrow the go-kart ramps. Only thing needed would be a thin sheet of panelling zip ties into crate for sun roof.
87704-53518943e459dc4f4da1d57dd85e620d.jpg