Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You aren't going to be able to have fruit trees if the horses are in with them... they will strip the bark besides the breaking them off...
Horses got in accidentally. DH did not consider trees when he could not get them out. Those rasscsls know hiow to evade him. I keep telling him to get a rope - even hay strings will work on them - and wind it around their nose and face to make a "halter" to lead them out. He prefers to try to run after them, shout, curse, and finally limp away muttering. Then I come out to see what is wrong, and et a halter, rope or haystring, and lead them out of the yard and back into the field. I keep the halters in the barn but will get a 4th halter to keep in the house for emergencies.

-125194664024088195.jpg Annabel learning to drive the tractor with DSIL2 and DH
3097673032900820904.jpgAnnabel missed the doggies. I didn't realize that Ozel had grown so large! I keep thnking of her as a puppy but she is about 18 months old now. Erick and I have been talking about finding the right stud to breed her next year. We also want to enter Hazine and Ozel in some dog shows along with 2 of Erick's puppies.

DS1 and DSIL2 took down one of the Honey Locust trees by the edge of the barn and night corral today. There is a larger one back of the barn that needs to come down too. Those things are a menace! Honey Locust trees and Black Mexican Buzzards should be outlawed!

The bathroom tile is being grouted today and DS1 got some molding and base shoe to trim out the wainscoting. Work goes on.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Didn't know whether to laugh or cry or get mad in the response to horses getting in with the fruit trees. Men can sometimes just be dense...... I really didn't think you would leave them in there to graze, but if there was alot of grass, maybe DS1 didn't think to get them out...
Yeah, Ozel is a BIG dog... glad they remembered Annabel.... new place, all that.... she looks like she is mad that she was separated from her...and just "got her back...:lol::lol:;);)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 operating pole saw to remove Honey Locust at corner of barn (right where we run into low hanging branches). DSIL2 using chain saw.
IMG_20240722_211144.jpg IMG_20240722_211158.jpg
Tree down and new fence panel in place on night corral. Need to pour root killer on root and remainder of trunk. IMG_20240722_211209.jpg

There is a much larger Honey Locust behind the barn that needs to come out. DS1 said he and DH will take care of it later. Probably this winter when they can burn everything. DS1 cleaned up the area around that tree where there was a lot of undergrowth, pieces of metal roofing, boards, and old heavy cattle panels. All left from the barn not being kept up properly when owner was ill, then widow not able to do anything on barn. No need since she was just renting out hayfields and pasture. The sheep liked to go there and run around the junk to annoy us when putting them into night corral. DS1 cleaned it out and removed the old panels that were laying on the ground trying to break our ankles. DS1 has done a lot of work on his own - he likes working on his own when he can without micro-management from us. LOL DH mowed the barnyard yesterday while boys took down tree. Said that lots of goatweed has come up in pastures so will have to mow those areas too. Bahia in back pasture is high, sheep don't want to eat it, they prefer the Bermuda. He may have to mow the Bahia as well, then move sheep into Bahia areas and use electric fencing to keep them there to graze.

DH took the truck to the Ford dealer in SS today for the paperwork to register it in TX. While it was being serviced, DS1 and DH took Rika to vet for what looked like an eye infection. No infection but have to rinse out eye with saline drops am and pm then out in some other drops. $200 - OMG. Rika is worth it though.

DD2 ad DSIL2 will not be going to visit DD2's birth sister since she is due any day with second baby. They told DS1 they would take our newer SUV to drive around Texas instead of the old one. DS1 said NO. Then DSIL2 said he would take the truck. DS1 said NO. The reason DH drove the older car out was so they could use it while they were in Texas to look at schools and houses. They have to use that car - they want to drive the nicer ones. DSIL2has to pickup his truck from work tomorrow. Giant semi trctor and has announced he will park it in our yard. It has been raining and I told DH it would tear up the pasture. DH told me "Not to worry" about churning up the pasture with semi. Yeah, right! DH didnt want to drive the truck and stock railer out to barn after rain because "it was too wet and would tear up ground". But a lsrge semi tractor?! Oy Gewalt!
:barnie DH wants me to text him number of owner of property next door to ask if he can park it there. :lol::lol:
The property has been for sale for 3 years and they just tore down the old house which was collapsing. Not getting involved but really annoyed about DD2 and DSIL2 thinking they can just use our property as their own. SIL (note the dropping of the D in front) already told DH they would brng their GermanShepherd out and leave it on our ranch. DH said NO. SIL2 said she would be no problem. I told DH to impress on them that the answer was NO. If it chased a sheep I would have to shoot it - assuming the Anatolians did not kill it first. Besides I did not spend another $4K to fence my back and side yard for their dog! Strange dogs are to be removed with dispatch, not be made friends with! This is not the first time SIL has said he will park his semi on our property either. NO, NO, NO! Then SIL made a mistake - he told DH that when we are too old to stay on the ranch that he and DD2 "would move in"! DH was not impressed by the assumption that they could just move into our house! They need to find a rental several hours away from us. I am fed up with children assuming they can take over our lives.

Enough of that - Iam worried thast the weight of the semi tractor will ter up our grund. DH says it will be ok but I know it won't. Just driving our big truck over the wet ground makes ruts. I suggested he park it at the Walmart in SS until he has to pickup his load but . . . . I told DS1 to keep hold on his daddy since DH is too nice.

The shower/tub is being grouted today or tomorrow and the moldings are going in. Can't wait to see a photo of it.

Got to go do more exercises and walk again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They really are stupid. They have no concept of respect for others, other people’s property or feelings. NO! Falls on deaf, selfish ears. Park a semi truck on your land? Get ready to buy a dump truck load of dirt to fill in the ruts. Take your nice car? NO! Take your truck? NO!
Dump their dog on you? Move in when you are too old? 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Talk about a couple of entitled ( bad words) .

Give an inch and they take a mile.

If you are gonna drop the D on your son in law, drop the D on your daughter, they are a pair.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My only comment is that if you raised DD2, then somewhere she did an about turn or you did not impress the respect for you as her parents, and respect for a person's personal belongings, on her enough, when she was growing up. All the different times out in CA you would make comments on how they just did this or did that... and I thought that moving to TX was in part to have YOUR OWN LIFE AGAIN....With your husband..... Stick to it...

You need to STOP letting them make the assumptions that they can take over your lives... they can't do it if you don't let them....

I would suggest that you go on and make DS1 a co-owner of the farm in TX... so that when the time comes and you "get too old to stay at the ranch", DS1 has the say so.... and half the ownership. Or set it up so that he is the owner, sell it to him in 5 years or something, and you have lifetime rights to it.... they do not have any need to know that either... but protect what DS1 is working so hard to do and to help you to have.
My DS 's father has put him on the deed of his house, so that when the time comes, there are no complications. He is an only child and DS's father is the last surviving member of the immediate family also... but DS has a step sister and this stops any other kind of greed.

If DS1 is doing all this work, he is the one that is entitled to "inherit", anyway.

The German Shepherd has been a total problem since they got it... NO means NO... Stick to it..... Do not force your LGD's to suffer through an animal that does not belong there... and/or you have to make a choice to shoot a dog that is bothering your animals either...

If they park the "work truck", and it tears up the grass/pasture, then that is on your DH... because if he will not drive his truck and trailer out there, you certainly should not allow the "semi-tractor" to be out there... One thing, without the weight of the trailer on it, they are very "light" and very prone to getting stuck.... meaning more tear up the ground...

I am not sure them transferring to TX is such a good thing.... just hope that they wind up a couple hours away... or you will not have a life again... You do not need to raise their kids, or CATER to their whims and wishes.

SecretHavenFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mary, I love Kassy, BUT…. You and Marv haven’t even gotten to enjoy your ranch yourselves before comments of someone taking over or impeding on it. Domanic dosent understand that a ranch is not a place to DUMP a dog, especially a dog that’s not a working dog. Andy and I both want you to enjoy your ranch, that’s why I keep telling Marv to go out and enjoy his beloved ranch everytime he tries to talk to Andy and I about taking it over later. Don’t want to hear about you “being to old” go enjoy YOUR ranch ♥️♥️. Both of your have worked to damn hard to not enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW! I thought D2 sounded stuck up with comment about "not lowering her standards" to live in an apartment or rv. This takes the cake.

I 1,000,000% agree with comment about making DS1 active part owner of the ranch. My hubby's grandma's husband is dealing with the fallout of this kind of entitlement. He spent years working on the family ranch writing checks for supplies, making repairs, and managing the place for his parents. As soon as they were gone, all the siblings who never visited started dragging him thru the courts for "stealing their inheritance". He's having to try and find years of receipts and prove that he was doing work for the ranch.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
THE BATHROOM TUB/SHOWER IS DONE!
IMG_20240723_205626.jpg IMG_20240723_205634.jpgIMG_20240723_205640.jpgIMG_20240723_205647.jpg The tile did just what we were hoping - made the old brown tub look like it was meant to be there. If I want to later, I can have it reglazed in white, but for now I think it looks nice.
Bryan Mandrell, MMM Construction, 903-513-2068, did the work. I told him I would put in a plug for him. I think he will work within a 50 mile radius. He ran the plumbing, removed the formica half wall surround, and then put in concrete board and the tile. He also added an access panel in the cupboard with a shutoff for the tub and shower plumbing. He was very careful not to damage the original wood wainscoting next to the tub. Bryan also hooked up our Generac. Our former tenant, Larry, who has become a good friend put us in touch with him. Larry rented our place while buildig his new house and the originasl contractor not only screwed up stuff, but abandoned the job. Larry found Bryan who finished the job beautifully.He is an excellent craftsman on anything. Larry also got us a deal on the 26KW Generac, then Bryan hooked it up. The total cost for generator and hookup came in under $10K which was as big savings. The propane tank of course was additional since we didn't have one. We plan to have Bryan do more work as we save up the money - some electrical work, vinyl plank floors, possibly redo the shower in the master bath, etc.

My only comment is that if you raised DD2, then somewhere she did an about turn or you did not impress the respect for you as her parents, and respect for a person's personal belongings, on her enough, when she was growing up.
We got her at age 14, a year after my cousin died. One cousin adopted her at age 6 from a bad family situation in Nicaragua. That cousin handed her off to another cousin with stage 4 cancer. It took years of counseling for abandonment issues, sexual abuse, etc. and also medical to find out about absence seizures due to Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. She is very sweet, and loving but her early years with my cousin taught her to shop at expensive stores, go first class, and eat lobster in fine restaurants. Whenshe came here it was a real culture shock. She gradually learned to budget, got her AA, and we are proud of the progress she has made. For 4 years they have been paying $2500 monthly in atttorney fees to retain custody of SIL's daughter. Her husband had a bad childhood with multiple "fathers" and did not eeceive any kind of good upbringing. His mother kicked him out of the home at 16. Now their little 3 year old is diagnosed with moderate autism. This is sad and we try to overlook some of the stuff he says since SIL really had no upbringing.
I would suggest that you go on and make DS1 a co-owner of the farm in TX... so that when the time comes and you "get too old to stay at the ranch", DS1 has the say so.... and half the ownership.
Probably going to happen. There is plenty of other stuff for the rest to share.
I am not sure them transferring to TX is such a good thing.... just hope that they wind up a couple hours away...
They went to several of the school locations to check out houses and found that they can get what they want for the lower price SIL wanted to pay. They are looking at places on acreage, figuring he can park the semi tractor there when he comes home from a run. They have no idea what kind of upkeep they will need to do on a large property. I warned DD2 that a lot of large properties don't have fencing for the dog. Today, Kassy said they were looking in Sulphur Springs as well.

When it comes to the semi tractor on the property I made my opinion known. I, as the little woman, don't know squat. Nothing I can do about it back here and if the truck tears up the ground, DH will have to fix it and arrange for a large semi tow to pull him out, further ruining the pasture. Any tow charge better not show up on our credit card!

Anyway, I can console myself with my lovely new bathtub surround. And the fact that when other people come to visit they can shower in the second bathroom. It has its own hot water heater. When everyone uses our shower we have to space it out in turns since we run out of hot water. Our HWH also supplies the dishwasher and laundry. We wondered why there were 2 HWHs but with 3 kids I guess the MacDonalds needed a second one for the kids' bathroom. Electric HWHs don't heat as fast as gas.

I might have found a dentist in Sulphur Springs. Mrs. macDionald's grandson is a dentist and Cody's wife is his dental hygenist. He was also recommended by Marc at Legacy AGCredit where we have our farm loan. I just have to call to see if he will take new patients and our insurance. Dr. Danny and Cody went to school together too.

I LOVE SMALL TOWNS!

gurock244

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I am starting a journal - a little late since I have been enjoying this site for several years and posting on it too. We have had livestock for 30 years now but never had any time till the past couple years due to kids, livestock, gardens, canning, 4-H, work, volunteer, etc. This sounds fun but I don't think I can recreate the past 30 years . . . . Consequently I might jump around a bit as I write.

Most of what we built 30+ years ago is starting to fall apart, so now we are having to rebuild. This time we have experience behind us, but at our ages we don't want to invest $$ more than we have to into barns, pens, etc. The reason for that is our 6 acres in the foothills of the San Fernando Valley, will go for development when we sell out. Few horses and less livestock left here, we are hold outs. I am a slow learner in the realm of social computer stuff though so it has taken this long to figure out to post pix, start a thread, etc. Al of which only happened after LOTS OF COACHING from all you tech savvy people. The only thing I do well on a computer is type fast and operate word in office mode. I still haven't mastered my iPhone, and when I got a new ne and the sales rep was telling me all the cool new stuff I could do with it, I understood nothing. I still don't know how to save or retrieve stuff from the Cloud. My phone tells me that I have to back up my phone and I follow the instructions, but apparently I am not a member of the secret tech society that automatically knows these things. My children and grandchildren were practically born with their hands shaped to cradle a gaming console and cell phone, Go figure.

That must be why I stick with livestock.
  1. Focus on Key Events: Highlight major milestones and memorable moments.
  2. Use Bullet Points: For quick, clear entries.
  3. Include Photos: They add context and detail.
  4. Keep It Simple: Write a few sentences each day about significant events.
  5. Categorize: Use headings for different topics like livestock, gardening, or tech struggles.
Happy journaling!