Sables?

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Saaga-Togg's 1 yr old Saanen doe just kidded Thurs. She had triplets and one died :( but the other two are healthy and adorable :)

We thought that she did a poor job of cleaning off the buckling as his coat was still reddish tinted. She scrubbed and scrubbed on him, but the reddish tint remained. She gave up since he was doing fine.

Yesterday, while we were looking at him, we noticed that while he was tinted red, he appeared to have whiter legs and a spot on his head. Upon closer inspection, the reddish tinge wasn't blood ... it's just the color of his fur!!

Would this make him a Sable? Both parents are registered Saanens. In the last year or so of being involved with goats, I have not seen a single Sable for sale in Michigan and no one in the ADGA directory for MI has any Sables (since they list breeds next to names).

She plans on selling him. What would be a reasonable price to ask for a Sable buckling?

I'll post pics later.

HeatherM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain you could register him as a Sable then! I am not 100% sure though, but I know a family who shows Saanens and have had Sables come from them.

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Now that he's a few days old, it's taken on a tan colored tinge. I found a website of a farm in IN that has Sables & Saanens and some of the Sables were VERY light colored, lighter than he is.

Now, she needs to know what to charge for him!

Latest posts