SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t think my LGDs would stay with a coyote in full view. I’m pretty sure it would be a dead coyote.

Great video of the sheep going through the chute. Love it!
I would hope your LGDs wouldn’t stay!! 😊 That would be like telling my dogs not to herd sheep 🤣!
Dead coyote would be good. Ya’ know I think I need to get Murphy a Christmas present - any ideas for the neighbor Anatolian? I’m certain when he’s around the coyotes aren’t.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got the sheep all wormed this morning. I used the new chute tilt-a-whirl (dang - I should name it that :) ). The lambs were all done with a hug and not in the chute. Camper has never really warmed up to me, or anyone for that matter, and now he's pretty certain he really doesn't want to be anywhere near me. Snow still thinks she wants to be a cuddle pet :) and Smile is happy most of the time. I think she's been talking to Camper a little a month from now he'll won't be in the barn or pasture ;), he'll be at camp.
The rest all went through Tilt-A-Whirl w/o tilting - but some with the use of the headgate. The headgate was a bit of an awakening for them. And some are just "in between" sizing of the bars :hu. Interesting this "automatic" headgate. Though, now with a tad bit of experience with it I've got a rhythm figured out and a good idea of spacing when to adjust, etc. Too bad the sheep aren't all the same size - life would be a little easier. I've also got a good idea of what not to do - ya' know - those "oops" things! :lol:. Of course when they'd get stopped by the headgate each one went into a slide their head up and down in the gate. I don't know if that will stop when we tilt - though I will have a soft towel to cover their head/eyes to help calm them if needed.
I also did the "smoosh" with the sides on most of them - that didn't bother anyone at all. If anything they settled in a bit better.
When the flock was all done, they went back through the chute with no problem.
So goes life on the ranch.
OMG -- I must be ill, no photos!! o_O

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got the rain. Silly forecast was for 3 days totaling a little over an inch, then it changed several times to eventually say 1 day and less than half an inch. Woke up this morning to run and open the ranch gate for a delivery. On the jog over there it was - a mud wash from the avo grove. When I got back to the house I checked the rain gauge - 1.1 inches! Woooo hooo! The mud wash was a tractor job, DH decided to have fun with the tractor and tackle that while I harrowed the arenas. It's sunny with big puffy white clouds now - a pretty day. We'll add fuel to the tractor and I'll tackle the ranch road tomorrow. There's a fair amount of big long ruts to be fixed.
IMG_1400.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

Time to buy some wattles to try and keep the dirt off the road.