SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out again today. It was heavy overcast and spitty this morning and I just had a "bad feel" about the coyotes so I fed everyone at the barn and did a few barn chores. Of course as soon as I was done the heaviness was gone and we could have grazed --- but the ewes had already chowed down and grazing would've been just not a whole lot of eating. Of course around noon they were ready to eat! Soooo, we took them all out. I decided to just keep a watch out for the littles either being silly or getting too tired. They were of course the perfect little lambies and behaved and kept up. Most everything out there was tasty to all of them not a lot of picking and choosing as I've seen in the last few months. Things must taste better or are better nutritionally or both. The grazing from Sept/Oct through Dec was mostly from the rains from Hurricane Hilliary. That time of year we are usually crunchy brown and not green like we were. It gave me a chance to isolate what they were eating. Still learning about all of that, it's a pretty deep rabbit hole to dive into.
Heading down the ranch road to the meadow.
IMG_3422.jpeg

Lunch for sheep at the meadow cafe.

IMG_3430.jpeg

He's not as close as it looks (gotta love :oops: zoom optics)....
IMG_3440.jpeg

A little better ...:idunno....
IMG_3441.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous afternoon! Zo or Obi?
Tis Obi. Zo will be soon, he’s showing me good things around the lambs. 😊 With all the different dogs I’ve worked with, I’ve come across a few that are great with grown sheep but really bad around lambs. I don’t think that will be an issue with Zo. 😊

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
No grazing today 🫤 -- had to reclaim the arenas today. A lot of UTV and harrow time. While I like grazing, I like the tractor and UTV time as well.
The boyz, well you can see they think it's very exciting :lol::lol:. Obi on the left, and Zo on the right.
IMG_3449.jpeg

When they could see the sheep it was a little more interesting.....
IMG_3453.jpeg

Followed by little sheep time in the barn........ much more fun...........
IMG_3458.jpeg

IMG_3480.jpeg

And after all that some weed whacking along the road. Weed whackers are much more efficient and faster than sheep. Saw the neighbor's irrigation pipe having a waterfall moment - texted them. It's all fixed now.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cute black ram! Or is the mother a Suffolk? Their lambs are always born black.
I don’t think so. If she is, she’s a cross. Though she does not have the temperament that the Suffolks I have known. She’s all black herself. She is one of my original training sheep.