SageHill Ranch Journal

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie ---- Oh geeze I just saw your question -- yikes -- sorry for the huge delay.
The coop latch is just a simple latch - the latch works great - had the same type of latch on our old coop.
Here's the sccop and a pic - I added a string that goes to the inside of the coop in case I (or anyone) goes in the coop, the door closes and latches. There'd be no way out :lol: . That little string has earned a gold star for usefulness!
View attachment 110341
Cut the string that is coming unraveled and burn with lighter till creates bubble then flatten with lighter end and it won't come unraveled. I like how all the screws are aligned the same on the slots. :bunny

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cut the string that is coming unraveled and burn with lighter till creates bubble then flatten with lighter end and it won't come unraveled. I like how all the screws are aligned the same on the slots. :bunny
Been meaning to do that, just haven’t had a fire starter with me. Used that “trick” a lot as a kid on my parents sailboat.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Finnie ---- Oh geeze I just saw your question -- yikes -- sorry for the huge delay.
The coop latch is just a simple latch - the latch works great - had the same type of latch on our old coop.
Here's the sccop and a pic - I added a string that goes to the inside of the coop in case I (or anyone) goes in the coop, the door closes and latches. There'd be no way out :lol: . That little string has earned a gold star for usefulness!
View attachment 110341
Thank you for the picture! We have latches like that on our backyard gates.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I come to you for this dog related info -- for a simple answer, not hrs of a manual 🤣

Halo collars. I'm under the impression that you go online with their "plan" and set up your own fences as gps, which relays to the collar for its activation to dog, rather than running actual wire for sensor. Would this be correct? Of course there's tracking...

No dog. Might be considering one....trained to this.😉

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awe :)

Can't say that I've used anything like that. I did look a few years ago for something that would accurately tell me how many miles Obi or Zo put in while we were working. For what I wanted it was two strikes - accuracy wasn't there and the cost way out of what I'd pay especially just for curiosities sake.
Looking at the Halo collar the reviews look good. I especially like that you don't have to bury a line like the old (or ancient) invisible fences.
Two concerns would be -- IF the dog runs through the virtual fence - and dogs with a true job will probably do that to get rid of a predator - can they get back in without the shock? or would they be willing to blast through to get back?
Second would be coverage. Where I'm at coverage for my phone can be iffy in some areas I would think that could be the same issue with the collar - in suburbia probably never an issue, but out in the country it is something to think about.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhh. Good points! But no special buried wire. I use plain old hot wire on fences. That's usually good for a dog, too.

Thanks!! Not really wanting (or needing) a dog 😉. But looking at a few goats as a group sell out and 9 mo old pup goes with. May not get anything -- sure don't need -- but like to know issues before I "look-see". Then I'd know what to plan for those I already know I'd auction in 2 wks. Basically, recoup my $ and retain 2 breed age does. Yeah, occasionally I do a fast buy/sell like that. But dog, nope. I stay with wethered or bucklings to sell off....not dogs. That's my concern.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
9 month old LGD is still a pup needing lots of training. Before buying this group, you might advertise the pup with the goats you plan to sell off. If you are not willing to put in time to train the pup, give it a pass. Most people with well trained LGDs won't sell them or have offers from other people needing same. Also good breeders will take back their puppies/grown dogs if buyers don;t want/need them anymore. No telling what bloodlines (not talking about breed) the LGD is from, or how good it is. zi'd give the pup a pass.

IF the dog runs through the virtual fence - and dogs with a true job will probably do that to get rid of a predator - can they get back in without the shock? or would they be willing to blast through to get back?
Also, dog probably won't go back through electric charge to rejoin flock after repelling predator. Might come to gate and wait to be let in if it is famiiar with your farm. If not bonded to yo and herd might just wander off.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dog would be rehomed....I'm not wanting it but, I'd select a training home with experience. A couple friends do have, use, train, love & need these dogs. Until then, the pup would be cared for and worked with -- not within my herd. There is a chance 1) they would keep dog, sell goats. 2) another buyer was "supposed" to come today and will buy.

A reason I do NOT have any dog now....I am aware of time, attention, training needs which I do not have the time for, or want to make time for right now. A temp foster (so to speak) until another can come get, I could do easily. But don't like this type of animal to be shifted around! Not a good thing IMO.

3 goats I'd sell would go to auction in mid Sep, along with my 3 bucklings from this year. Simply a recoup of some $. Besides...haven't even been on in person look. It's nothing set up, just a possible, only verbal & pics now. Occasionally a "deal" presents & happens. I have plenty of quarantine space!

Last edited: