Scrapie tagging/tattooing question

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
20kidsonhill said:
I think you are missreading it.

"All sheep and goats must have an official ear tag except wethers and animals less than 12 months of age that are moving directly to slaughter. Complete information is available by contacting:"

I read that as everyone needs to be tagged, including animals over 12 months of age going to slaughter, unless they are a wether going to slaughter. So Does over 12 months of age or intact bucks over 12 months of age going to slaughter also need to be tagged with scrappie tags.
Ok, after reading it again I see what you mean. So in other words all animals that leave the farm have to be tagged unless they are going straight to slaughter and are over 12 months of age and intact.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain it to my dad and DH. I know if my dad gets in on the program DH will be more likely to do it with our own herd. He tends to think that if my dad doesn't do it with his herd then it's not worth pursuing. :rolleyes:
That is easy, tell him if they leave his farm they have to have a scrappie tag in their ear. :D It is the law.

And it isn't 12 months of age and intact, it is 12 months of age and wethered(not intact).

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Yes, they are supposed to be tagged if he is selling them off his farm. There are some ways to get around it with the special exemptions and all but it is easier to just tag them. The program is free and they send you everything for free too. You pay nothing!! It is very easy and that way you're not having to worry about the law.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Yes, they are supposed to be tagged if he is selling them off his farm. There are some ways to get around it with the special exemptions and all but it is easier to just tag them. The program is free and they send you everything for free too. You pay nothing!! It is very easy and that way you're not having to worry about the law.
Guess I need to get a hold of the state about getting some tags for us. Does this apply only to where the goats were born? In other words could I go ahead and tag my adult goats with the tags I receive for my farm or do I have to go through a process of getting the right tag for where they were born at?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Guess I need to get a hold of the state about getting some tags for us. Does this apply only to where the goats were born? In other words could I go ahead and tag my adult goats with the tags I receive for my farm or do I have to go through a process of getting the right tag for where they were born at?
Do you know who to call? If not let me know.

As for your Q. They say you can tag them but keep detailed records stating it is not from your farm and who it is from. They say to keep records on goat for 5 years I believe. I would just leave them blank. When you breed them and sell the kids, that's who I would tag at a few weeks old. The tag has you farm # that if there is ever Scrapies then they can track it back to you and eradicate it. After several years of producing goats, or sheep, without Scrapie then you are declared 'Scrapie Free'. They do not come out and test for Scrapie unless your animals are suspect or ever come down with it, which is next to nothing really.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
marlowmanor said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Do you know who to call? If not let me know.

As for your Q. They say you can tag them but keep detailed records stating it is not from your farm and who it is from. They say to keep records on goat for 5 years I believe. I would just leave them blank. When you breed them and sell the kids, that's who I would tag at a few weeks old. The tag has you farm # that if there is ever Scrapies then they can track it back to you and eradicate it. After several years of producing goats, or sheep, without Scrapie then you are declared 'Scrapie Free'. They do not come out and test for Scrapie unless your animals are suspect or ever come down with it, which is next to nothing really.
Ok. Coffeecow listed the info for NC earlier as far as who to call and 20kids gave the link for the scrapies info page and I saved that info to my computer as well. So then I can leave my current trio untagged and just make sure to tag any offspring that I sell from them? Am I understanding that right?
I hope the OP doesn't think I am taking over their thread with my questions. :hide I'm just trying to get everything right. I can start a new thread if I need to.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Yes, they can be left untagged. After talking to the person on the phone I believe that they can be left untagged but if you wanted to you could tag them, just be sure to have in your records who they are from and that they are not from your farm, ect. If you sell them then you would have to tag them but record all of what I just said. So no, you don't need to but if you sell them then yes, you do.

Technically they should be tagged with you dad's farm # and she should be on the program too. :)

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Yes, they can be left untagged. After talking to the person on the phone I believe that they can be left untagged but if you wanted to you could tag them, just be sure to have in your records who they are from and that they are not from your farm, ect. If you sell them then you would have to tag them but record all of what I just said. So no, you don't need to but if you sell them then yes, you do.
Thank you definitely something to look into then. I think they will remain untagged since that is how we got them. I will be sure to get tags for any future offspring though and remember to make sure any new goat(s) brought in have tags on them. I will be sure to mention this law to my dad too.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Cool. Know what's weird? I have NEVER seen anyone that raises Nigerians and sells them, registered or unregistered, sell them with tags. We have Nigerians from 4 different lines and none have tags, even though they are supposed too. lol

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Cool. Know what's weird? I have NEVER seen anyone that raises Nigerians and sells them, registered or unregistered, sell them with tags. We have Nigerians from 4 different lines and none have tags, even though they are supposed too. lol
See...so maybe it's not all that odd that my dad doesn't tag. He sells unregistered BTW. Come to think of it I don't think he has ever tagged any of the goats he has raised for years. He's had pygmies, boers, fainters, and now back to the pygmies and nigerians.