Selenium Salt Block ok for Mini Cattle???

USpony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Do I see some Zebu in there? Are they primarily for meat, milk, or dual purpose? They seem friendly.

omg_sob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes! Ellie has more Zebu than the others. I'm not a huge fan of the zebu so hopefully with breeding we can minimize that characteristic.

We don't use them for anything but joy! However, they are meat beef tho, not milkers. We usually grow a few full sized steers for our beef needs. These little ladies are very friendly and curious. They're like 400lb dogs!

Taylorgirl

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I just got 3 Mini Western Heritage Heifers who are between a yr and a yr and a half. I guess they range in size from 85lbs to 150. I just put a Selenium Salt/Mineral Block in their paddock. I usually use the red mineral blocks with our big cattle, but the farmer at the feed place said that since our soil is Selenium difficient he recommends this block.

Is it ok for Mini's?????

Thanks for any replies.

omg_sob
Well Hello. We just acquired a mini western heritage as well. We have all mini cows. I was told western heritage is rare and maybe 500 left in states.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a pretty old thread, but I had to Google mini western heritage cattle, and look what came up!

Looks like @omg_sob is still raising them.

Last edited: