selling goats

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got 8 goats for 3 1/2 acres of very dense brush/trees/briars about 2 or 3 months ago. I am shocked at how much they have cleared. I underestimated their clearing abilities. I need to pare my numbers down. do I just post on craig's list? i'm embarrassed to say i'm kinda attached to them. I don't mind them going for meat use, but I want them treated well. is that just simply beyond my ability to control at all or is there a trick to attracting humane people?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Craigslist can be great. You really need to screen for what you are looking for. Selling for meat is one thing. Selling to a future home is another. You should not be embarrassed about getting attached to your goats! They are comical lovable creatures with unique personalities... what's not to love about them.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I've just been going through this myself. I had to weed through a lot of potential buyers using craig's list that just didn't fit what I was looking for in a home for my goats. I finally found a wonderful home for my goats but it took a lot of screening. Good luck to you!

eta: You get a vibe off of people when they are genuine just as you do when they are trying to skirt your questions. Listen to that vibe and you'll find good homes.

Rocco

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Be wary of scams on craigslist. It is a great resource and I have bought and sold many goats on there, but specify CASH...no checks, money orders, cashier checks, etc.

One widely used scam is a reply that says something like..."I am interested in your goat". OK fine, you reply and get another email saying they want your goat(s), BUT they can't come, so they are sending a representative to pick them up and ship the goats so they are sending a cashiers check with $50 additional added to it and "Could you please pay the driver the $50 in cash for his services"....so they take your goats, give you a bad check and you give them $50 cash. Ummmm, no thanks.

If you get one of those, tell them "Yes, I will do that deal"...but give them the address of the Sheriff's office to meet you at!!!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
CL can be great but like the others said, be careful and word your ad carefully. Be very detailed about the breed, age, personality, and price. Tell them it is CASH only, price is firm, you don't ship or deliver (unless you do of course), and that if the ad is up then the goats are available. I also list now that I will not respond to any email that does not contain a phone number for call back and that seems to have cut down on the stupid.

If you get an email asking questions about ANY of the info you already provided (like, "Are the goats available") or just a vague message like "I am interested in your goat" without anything else, don't even respond---delete it. I set up an alternate email address to use too because of phishing morons who will then sign you up for all kinds of email spam.

Gotta love some of the responses you will get though...."Will the goats just stay in the yard? Can I keep them in my basement when it is cold?" I don't respond to those ones either :rolleyes:

bj taylor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. this will help a lot. I have never sold anything via craigslist or some such. it's a new realm for me.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just FYI, I have a goat listed on craigslist and she is not selling. I normally don't have any trouble selling them through CL, but at this time of year it is rough. It doesn't look like any of the goats are selling on CL around here (WA state). So, just be aware that you might try selling now and not have any luck, but don't give up on CL just because it's slow at this time of year. :)
-K

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Suburbanfarmer said:
Just FYI, I have a goat listed on craigslist and she is not selling. I normally don't have any trouble selling them through CL, but at this time of year it is rough. It doesn't look like any of the goats are selling on CL around here (WA state). So, just be aware that you might try selling now and not have any luck, but don't give up on CL just because it's slow at this time of year. :)
-K
It is slow here due to back to school shopping still.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This time of the year is always slow for goats. All of the kids born as fair kids are on the market and that is the bulk of them. All of the breeding stock sales are just starting up to catch the "after hay and before snow" season. Stock is way up and prices are way down. It always happens in the fall.