Sheep and dogs! Help please

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with Southern...obedience training and that bond will be all you really need. Everything else stems from that. Labs are VERY eager to please, loyal, obedient and smart dogs...my favorite breed of all time. Easy to train, a lifetime of good memories.

My Lab/Border Collie mix dog had not an ounce of problem when I introduced sheep, even with the herding genes thrown in, because he had already received obedience training and already worked well with chickens.

One day, when the sheep had been here for many months, I saw him chasing the sheep around the garden fence and started to run to the window, with much anger in my mouth already....then saw the next second's action. The dog stopped, crouched down, the sheep had stopped and faced him. Then the chase was on once again...except they were chasing him BACK around the garden this time!

This game happened every evening of their lives together, while my LGD breed dog watched on with much disdain. She clearly thought these games were beneath a dog's dignity to engage in. Seemed like every evening they all felt their oats and had to have their game of tag in order to settle in for the night...it never got old to watch.

They were good friends all the while I had the sheep.

I wish you well with your pup and sheep and I expect good things, especially if you undertake your obedience training first and all the while you are introducing it to the sheep. It's a great opportunity to use the sheep as a distraction during your training so you can correct him/her on it in a real life situation. Got to keep their focus on you, not on the distractions that abound.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice and reassurance Beekissed. I will do my best with the training!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Please let us know how it all goes? I'd love to hear all about it....Labs own a special place in my heart and I find them to be one of the most versatile breeds, especially as farm and family dogs.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is Poppy, 9 weeks old, my new house mate white lab:love She is such a star, has slept all night in her crate since I got her and chews everything. I have introduced her to the sheep daily, holding her in my arms as I can't put her down yet as she is not fully immunised. 3 of the 4 sheep have come over to touch noses and today she licked my littlest Shetland's nose, who responded by trying to head but her (fairly gently!) through the fence. Woody (the Shetland) kept coming back for more though, so I think he was being friendly and wanted to play (he is a 10 month old wether). I think it will be OK. haven't managed to get a nice pic of her with the sheep yet but here she is. Training has commenced....:fl

Attachments

• IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 126

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What a sweetie! She's beautiful! :love You two are going to be fantastic for each other! She's going to need all of that crate when she's full grown :hide Thanks for sharing the pics :clap

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She's adorable! :love

Just a heads up, I'd suggest removing the slipper from her crate unless you don't mind her chewing on shoes as an adult.
Good point, thank you so much , I have taken this on board! She is shoe/slipper/foot mad at the moment and you are right, I don't really want this forever.