Sheep

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you located?
What breed sheep do you have?
Are they on pasture or dry lot (you buy and bring their feed daily)?

Tell us something about yourself and your sheep.

wandas

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not even sure on what kind. This was our kids ideal of a gift a male and female baby sheep. Now they are grown. The female is pregnant, and we are lost what to do. lol that's why I joined hoping to pick up some tips. We're located in Alabama, and we feed hay and grain daily.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not even sure on what kind. This was our kids ideal of a gift a male and female baby sheep. Now they are grown. The female is pregnant, and we are lost what to do. lol that's why I joined hoping to pick up some tips. We're located in Alabama, and we feed hay and grain daily.
You've come to the right place, good, friendly knowledgeable folks here!

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can post pictures of them that would help. It sounds like the male is sexually intact (ram)? If so be VERY cautious around him and consider replacing him with a neutered male (wether) or another girl (ewe).

Rams have earned their names and killed people easily. I personally had an ER visit and x-rays last fall from my ram. He did a standing leap from about 6ft away and smashed my arm into 2x4 railing I was reaching over. Everyone was surprised it wasn't broken.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you planning to breed them for lambs? They can live together but be careful going in with them with the ram. Sone rams will be defensive of their ewes and come at you. Our current rams are very docile but have gotten my husband once and my son once when in with a pen of ewes for breeding. I never let them out of sight when I go in the pen. And I carry my "Ram Be Good Stick" - 18" piece of clothes rod with a hanging rope on it. We have one hanging no every pen that contains a ram. LOL

DS1 had a show ram - a Hampshire as big as a Shetland pony - who we rechristened "Killer". With a halter on him he was ok but in his pen he would attack everyone! Very dangerous. If I had to get him out or go in the pen, I would put hay in his fenceline feeder, then lean over though the window and catch him around the neck with my crook. Then I had to put in the halter which had a metal shank and chain. A couple times he backed away and I almost fell out the window into the feeder! My son was not afraid to go in the pen (high school football lineman) but one day he turned away and the ram send him flying! Lucky not to break a leg or ribs.