Short List! YEAH!!!

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay. After much soul-searching I have narrowed my search to four breeds: Galloway, Red Poll, Highland and Dexter. The things that concerns me most is that I live in Arkansas and I think I just picked cattle that look like they are more suited to a cooler climate than the humid, extremely hot summers we tend to get in Central Arkansas.

Which of these breeds, if any, would live comfortably in Arkansas?

Thank you, I promise I'm almost finished asking breed questions. :D

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just came from visiting a red poll ranch. They ae too cute! A yearling bull walked up to the rancher and let him pet him! They were all in the pond and very curiious about me. The best part was all of them, (bulls included) were less than 20 feet away and not one of one acted aggressively. The rancher says his grandchildren play in the fields where the cattle are and has never had an incident.

I am very excited about them. He gave me the name of the ranch were he got his, so I'm going to visit that one next!

I still plan to visit ranches with other breeds, but I have to admit the idea of having cattle this sweet is extremely attractive.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Grandpa must not like his grandchildren much. The "sweet" bulls are the ones that kill people.
x2.

I know this is a new venture for you, because I've been reading your threads, but please don't take a bull lightly. I think what the folks here with experience have been trying to tell you is that for someone starting out "new" to this, your best bet is AI, not a Bull. Bulls are dangerous. Not sweet. Please watch the show on Animal Planet about the man who thought his Bull was "sweet".

This is nothing to mess around with. And NOT to put your children, grandchildren in jeopardy. IMHO, I could be raising cattle for 50 years and I would NEVER think a BULL is sweet.

Just my opinion. I wish you luck in your new venture.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
CESpeed, just a quick question here: What exactly are your goals for getting cattle? What are your intentions for getting cattle? You may have mentioned it before, but I would like a refresher just so we have a better idea of what you are looking for.

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My purpose for getting cattle is for personal meat consumption. I'm not looking to become a major breeder. I would like cattle who can live comfortably in Arkansas during hot, humid summers, who are relatively docile and friendly, and do not require a lot of hands on care. From the research I've done so far, the four breeds I've narrowed it down to meet the criteria I'm looking for.

Now I'm going to concentrate on visiting ranches that have the breed I want and ask a million questions. After my visit to the Red Poll ranch I realize I'm probably going to fall in love with all of them. *deep sigh*

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
CESpeed said:
My purpose for getting cattle is for personal meat consumption. I'm not looking to become a major breeder. I would like cattle who can live comfortably in Arkansas during hot, humid summers, who are relatively docile and friendly, and do not require a lot of hands on care. From the research I've done so far, the four breeds I've narrowed it down to meet the criteria I'm looking for.

Now I'm going to concentrate on visiting ranches that have the breed I want and ask a million questions. After my visit to the Red Poll ranch I realize I'm probably going to fall in love with all of them. *deep sigh*
Now I'm just throwing this out there, but there's a couple of things you should consider before buying. Yeah having a couple of cows is nice because they will give you a constant supply of calves to fatten up for the freezer, but just think of this: a couple of steers would be just as good, if not better. They take less feed and less costs to raise, and you don't have to worry about when to breed them, how and when you have to calve them out or how you are going to wean them from their calves. As a beginner, and since your primary goal is to fill up your freezer, a couple of steers will take half the feed and half the costs to raise than a few cows will. They're also a great way to get your feet wet too. :)

It's just an option for you to consider. :)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WRB is right. Breeding, calving, raising cattle is for the more experienced people. Getting a couple steers is far less costly, there are waaaaaaay less things to go wrong, and steers are usually a bit more docile than cows (especially when they calf). No matter what you decide, good luck!