Short List! YEAH!!!

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Starting with a steer doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thanks for the advice it didn't even occur to me. I know I've just scratched the surface of my research, but I'm pretty sure I want to have cows and breed them to annually supply me with meat.

But I like the idea of having a steer that I can fatten up. It would allow me to have time to get to know a heifer before it's time to breed her so we can get use to each other before we add a calf to the mix.

So what are your thoughst of adjusting my starter package to a bred cow, a heifer and a steer? Maybe a bull later if I decide to have a larger herd.

btw, the more I read, the more I'm liking having both Galloway and Red Poll cattle. But I refuse to allow myself to make a decision until after I visit more ranches.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that package WAY better. You can try and get it so that the bred cow has a steer calf on her, or just a weanling steer that you can feed and fatten up for a year. The heifer prospect doesn't sound bad either. :)

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
CESpeed said:
Starting with a steer doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thanks for the advice it didn't even occur to me. I know I've just scratched the surface of my research, but I'm pretty sure I want to have cows and breed them to annually supply me with meat.

But I like the idea of having a steer that I can fatten up. It would allow me to have time to get to know a heifer before it's time to breed her so we can get use to each other before we add a calf to the mix.

So what are your thoughst of adjusting my starter package to a bred cow, a heifer and a steer? Maybe a bull later if I decide to have a larger herd.

btw, the more I read, the more I'm liking having both Galloway and Red Poll cattle. But I refuse to allow myself to make a decision until after I visit more ranches.
Sounds like a much less traumatic package.

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have definitely decided that I will own Red Poll cattle. They are the sweetest things ever! :love I know I'm going to hear screams about the dangers of bulls, but today not only did the bull let me pet him, he wouldn't let me stop! He was beautiful! He will begin his breeding program after he is shown in Nov. His father, grandfather, great-grandfather and brother are all award winning champion bulls.

I told the breeder I want a cow bred back to him when I'm ready to purchase. I so totally excited. I hope the Galloways are just as sweet. :fl

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
CESPeed, NICE! Sounds like you had a great visit. It is really nice to see that you are doing so much homework and really taking the time to travel around, talk to farmers and such. You can't learn it all without actually "doing". But you are putting your time in and it will pay off in the end! Can't wait to see the day you post pictures of your herd. :D