Show steer pen layout help

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you are saying he will have the shelter, attached to the 11x11 pen and that is basically it..... because the pasture fence is not fixed. He may be a show steer, but that will do nothing for muscle development. Most weight he gains will be soft ... even with you walking him...
Best of luck with that. It might be the way many do it... not what I thought.

Tacobug52

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So you are saying he will have the shelter, attached to the 11x11 pen and that is basically it..... because the pasture fence is not fixed. He may be a show steer, but that will do nothing for muscle development. Most weight he gains will be soft ... even with you walking him...
Best of luck with that. It might be the way many do it... not what I thought.
Thank you for the encouragement! I will be looking into more things about muscle development, I don’t think it will be much of a problem though because there’s steers each year at my fair and they all have really good muscle, I wonder why that is🤔. I also talked to my dad about the fence and it’s on his list of projects so that might get done faster than I thought. Also best of luck with your chickens! Have a great day😁

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would go ahead and make shelter 8x8 and pen 10x20 to better utilize materials. Most lumber and siding come in 4ft wide sheets and 8ft lengths. Cutting a foot off makes a lot of scrap. A 20ft cattle panel can be cut to make a 10ft easily.

Tacobug52

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would go ahead and make shelter 8x8 and pen 10x20 to better utilize materials. Most lumber and siding come in 4ft wide sheets and 8ft lengths. Cutting a foot off makes a lot of scrap. A 20ft cattle panel can be cut to make a 10ft easily.
So for the pen I have some extra panels that I will be using (11.5 ft) and for the shelter I found a plan that’s 10x12. I also have a ton of scrap wood from the last owners in the loft of our barn so I will be using that.