Showing Livestock: Poultry, Meat Sheep, Pigs

fluttervale

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know that covers a lot and I'm hoping that maybe a couple different people could answer some questions. We're planning a smallish farm that I hope to turn into a profitable alternative to a regular job (for me, at least.) I've been involved in showing dogs in the past and also understand the premise of showing cats. However, it seems that showing livestock is considerably different and I don't really understand where to start. I'm very attracted to getting into showing livestock because the ethical implications of having more offspring than you know what to do with is ... well ... welcome to freezer camp! So, questions.

Pigs

- National Organization. What organization are pigs judged under? How do you know if an event qualifies? Does it matter?
- Crossbreds. What are they judged on? Is there a class just for "quality of meat production" such as weight/etc.?
- Purebreds. Specifically, is there a master list of recognized meat breeds? I am not interested in ornamentals like potbellies or the primitives. Our primary goal is meat production for the family.
- Suggestions on sources/etc would be invaluable.

Meat Sheep

Essentially the same query as pigs.
- National Organization. What organization are pigs judged under? How do you know if an event qualifies? Does it matter?
- Crossbreds. What are they judged on? Is there a class just for "quality of meat production" such as weight/etc.?
- Purebreds. Specifically, is there a master list of recognized meat breeds? I am not currently interested in wool breeds but that would be something I'd be interested in branching into as time passes.
- Suggestions on sources/etc would be invaluable.
- I am very interested in sheep as my boyfriend is allergic to dogs and I am attached to the premise of having a dog and having a farm collie would make me a very happy Fluttervale. I also think Babydolls are absolutely adorable though that is not compelling enough reason for me to keep them.

Poultry

Beginning to understand this as I spend a lot of time at BYC.
- Is it acceptable to show a non-standard color if the bird is bred to breed standards? Is there a class specifically for that purpose? Is it almost always offered, or is it a rare option?
- Crossbreds. Is there an option for just a generic "meat" class or are they judged more like dogs where you must have a specific breed?

Thank you anyone who can help out. I love planning for these things. I am budgeted to be able to purchase land in about 18 months so am very excited!

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pigs and chickens I have never shown but chickens I have so maybe I can give you some pointers. It is not acceptable to show non standard colors. Even if you show a standard color and there is a feather of the wrong color (say white chicken with ONE black feather you will get faults). So proper color is as important as conformation. And don't try plucking that black feather out because if they see that --more faults. Chickens need to be bathed before a show like all the other animals. Must keep them warm when wet or they will chill easily. Ever wash a chicken? Try it just for laughs. Gets interesting especially around the head area. Oh..... don't talk to the judges while they are judging. The chickens must be trained to be easily caught and removed from the pen as the judges will handle every bird. They are not fond of feathers flying and birds running and screaming around and around the pen.

fluttervale

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions!

I have never washed a chicken but I *have* washed quite a few cats.