Sick lambs, Lost 2

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds to me like part of it is they gorged themselves on green grass... and it could have caused a toxic reaction in their system...You should feed them and make sure they have eaten hay, then let them out for an hour or 2 a day for 2-3 days, then a few hours for another 2-3 days... If they will come for grain, give them just a little, and free choice hay, then let them out and then call them back in for more grain before they can overdo it...

Could have just been too much all at once. Sometimes it will affect them if their gut tract is not used to it, there were no microbes that could handle all that grass at once...

I would NOT worm them again at this point. They have had 2 kinds, 10 days apart... their gut tract needs a rest from the chemicals...

If they are eating good, skip the Vit B-12... I don't see where it will help them any as it is mainly for appetite stimulation. Doesn't sound like they are having trouble in that way.

Do you have a vet you use for them? I would call and see if they do fecal exams on sheep... If so, a couple of baggies so you can get a few pellets from each one... and take to have them examined. They will tell you what worms and how much infestation if any. Then worming again can be addressed....

And yeah, checking for a toxic plant with a phone app like @Baymule suggested...

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds to me like part of it is they gorged themselves on green grass... and it could have caused a toxic reaction in their system...You should feed them and make sure they have eaten hay, then let them out for an hour or 2 a day for 2-3 days, then a few hours for another 2-3 days... If they will come for grain, give them just a little, and free choice hay, then let them out and then call them back in for more grain before they can overdo it...

Could have just been too much all at once. Sometimes it will affect them if their gut tract is not used to it, there were no microbes that could handle all that grass at once...

I would NOT worm them again at this point. They have had 2 kinds, 10 days apart... their gut tract needs a rest from the chemicals...

If they are eating good, skip the Vit B-12... I don't see where it will help them any as it is mainly for appetite stimulation. Doesn't sound like they are having trouble in that way.

Do you have a vet you use for them? I would call and see if they do fecal exams on sheep... If so, a couple of baggies so you can get a few pellets from each one... and take to have them examined. They will tell you what worms and how much infestation if any. Then worming again can be addressed....

And yeah, checking for a toxic plant with a phone app like @Baymule suggested...
Thank you. This is good news. They are eating well and act like they feel good. I will do the 2 to 3 hr pasture grazing and feeding like you suggest. I will do this as soon as I am sure there are no toxic plants in the pasture. We are in the process of fixing a different pasture to let them out in. It has far less weeds.
I am so thankful to you and @Baymule For taking the time to help me get through this crisis. I believe there is a lot of knowledge here with this group. I will continue to watch and learn as you help others.
I really appreciate it. I will keep you updated.

Attachments

• 20240831_170839.jpg
    20240831_170839.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240831_170851.jpg
    20240831_170851.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240831_170730.jpg
    20240831_170730.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 12

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, but sad for you.

I am going to give you a little different advice than @Baymule .... and we are good friends so not a slight to her.

Do not give nutridrench when you worm... you are feeding the worms. Any type of nutritional support should be given 36-48 hours later.. and they should get straight water for the 24-48 hours after worming. You want them to flush out the worms, not give them additional nutrition which can counteract the wormer.
The B-12 is a shot and is an appetite stimulant as well as nutritional boost, that can be given anytime... I would also wait 24-48 hrs. for the iron if oral... iron shot would be fine.
Severe worm infestations will become toxic as they die in the gut tract... I will not do such a harsh worming so fast... But that is me...I am NOT a vet... I would do the ivermect, 2 days later do nutritional support for 3-4 days... 7-10 days a second ivermect... nutritional support again after 48 hours.... then after there has been at least a decent reduction in the worms and eggs, hit them with a different wormer which will be like coming at them from a different angle... I like prohibit for our sheep after an ivermectin treatment... and we use ivermectin oral FOR SHEEP... it is a little different strength I think, than the injectible. All literature says to not use cattle ivermectin for sheep and goats... especially not to use the pour on as a drench. Then go back with prohibit about 2 weeks later.... It is an oral product.

Again, that is strictly me. Oklahoma State U... has a good website with alot of information on sheep and goats. Also Georgia State has some extensive info.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@farmerjan my 4 lambs looked good today. All except one that still, to me, looks wormy. The other three were running, jumping around playing together. The one that looks wormy to me is not critical yet, but I do not want her to get that way. Seems it can happen so quickly. She is eating and drinking ok.
Should I treat her one more time? (Worm)
Also, I think it was @Baymule mentioned keeping baking soda out for bloating. Is this something I need to do?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baking soda for sheep is like alka seltzer to us. When putting them on new pasture or new spring grass, I put out baking soda. They eat it like candy. Do as @farmerjan said, give hay first, then limit time in grass, gradually building up to a full day. Offer baking soda, free choice.
Do you offer minerals? I use Premier1 trace minerals for sheep. Directions say to mix with 50 pounds of stock salt and I keep in a plastic kitchen trash can with lid.

Leigh Ann

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Baking soda for sheep is like alka seltzer to us. When putting them on new pasture or new spring grass, I put out baking soda. They eat it like candy. Do as @farmerjan said, give hay first, then limit time in grass, gradually building up to a full day. Offer baking soda, free choice.
Do you offer minerals? I use Premier1 trace minerals for sheep. Directions say to mix with 50 pounds of stock salt and I keep in a plastic kitchen trash can with lid.