Sick mother hen not eating or drinking :(

Joseph

Just born
Reaction score
Julienkc said:
Joseph said:
Julienkc said:
How recently did she hatch them? Mine always go into sort of a trance when they are hatching, and won't move for anything for a day or two. I think it's their version of "lockdown". Make sure she has food and water where she can reach it from the nest. Is her comb very pale, and has it been or did it just suddenly turn pale? My broodies are usually silkies, but I had a bo go broody and I'm pretty sure her comb got pale after a few weeks, and stayed that way until she was done with the chicks and laying again.
I only noticed today that she was significantly pale and I tried to feed her and she wouldn't eat, nor would she drink when I offered water. The babies have already hatched, they are about three days old and she still hasn't gotten off the nest, they've all hatched and there are no more eggs under her, there were thirteen eggs altogether and she got ten out of them!
Mine took around 3 days to get up. If she's not up by morning up her protein like everyone else said, she needs to get up and get the babies food too. They only have enough yolk for a day or 2, then they need to eat and drink. You may need to take them and brood them, for them and momma.
If I have to resort to that, how do I brood them?

artsyrobin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
have you picked her up and checked her vent at all? try changing the litter, and make her stand a few minutes to break out of her broody mind set?

kla37

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
To brood them: Warmth, about 95 to start with. Lots of pine shavings (not newspaper, it can cause splayed legs). Fresh water (they will dirty it up super quick) and medicated chick starter. Can put a feather duster in there for them to hide in if you want. Red lights are best so they fall asleep. Just don't make it TOO hot, or it'll be bad, real bad. Good luck!

chiknmathvctm

Just born
Reaction score
I think thoer circulation slows way down while brooding mine did this...I picked her up put her outside in a small 4 x 3 moveable pen with her babies... once you get her off the nest and she "goes" and moves around her color will get better...poly-vi-sol will help to...you can mix up some save-a-chick powder in thier water will help her and the babies...Good luck!

Latest posts