Silly question...beginning your rabbit stock

mrsengeseth

Just born
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Do you want a smaller breed because of limited cage space? If so Floridas may be what you need. They are essentially a smaller sized New Zealand and are good meat producers. They can be kind of hard to find though.
That's exactly it, because of limited amount of space on one city lot. I already have chickens, ducks and quail, so adding in the rabbits is going to be a squeeze. I have one hutch already, and am looking to get another one. Or Build...

I found a lady who is local (Colorado Rocky Mtn region) who has rex's and though I am tempted to get them, I don't know if it's right for me

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rex were started as a meat rabbit in France so they might be a good medium sized rabbit for you. MiniRex are easier to find than the full size but may be too small.
They usually have nice even temperaments and are popular as pets because of their sociability and soft coats which may give you an outlet for your excess if you don't use all them for meat rabbits yourself.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Try the livestock auctions. The quality may not be that high but it will be cheap and you will have a variety to choose from. Around here a new zealand doe will sell anywhere from 5-10 dollars.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have florida whites as they are small, compact bricks of meat with very little bone. They work for me, my 1/2 acre property and my demands. One 11 week old feeds two adults twice. That is perfect for my situation. I have a designated area for my rabbits and chickens and if you look at my page you will see it has expanded. And, it is quite efficient. Now I have a 4x26' rabbit shed with 10 cages. I dug out under the hanging cages so the poo had a place to go and I ad straw, fresh grass clippings and so on to the pile. It works for me. And needs to be shoveled out about 2-3 times per year. I like that kind of maintenance.
The bones on a FW are about the size of a pencil. Where the bones of a CA or NZ are the size of chicken bones. My preferance is the FW. But, I have also never raised the others. I do not want to deal with the killing of a 7 lbs rabbit or more. I like the size I am dealing with.
For me... they so far are the perfect rabbit.

the lady w/ a rottwieler, german shepherd, 2 cocker spaniels, 7 meat rabbits, their kits, 3 city chickens, 3 chicks and a lizard............ wow! I did get that out in one sentance

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Floridas were what I had in mind when I started back into rabbits but I never could find any stock nearby.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ah! I see from your last post that you're near me! If Rex is what you want, lots of them on Craigslist. I know a good breeder with Rexes, too - the same one whose rabbits nursed my litter of angoras a few months ago when their mom had no milk. There are New Zealands and Californians (the traditional meat rabbits) available on Craigslist locally, too. And if you're patient, you'll find hutches and wire cages for cheaper prices than the stores, too.

What is it about Rex rabbits that makes you hesitate? I considered Rexes, but decided to go with the larger NZ/Cali cross in the end. That Rex coat is gorgeously soft, a marvelous choice if you want to tan skins in addtion to eating the meat.

mrsengeseth

Just born
Reaction score
DianeS said:
Ah! I see from your last post that you're near me! If Rex is what you want, lots of them on Craigslist. I know a good breeder with Rexes, too - the same one whose rabbits nursed my litter of angoras a few months ago when their mom had no milk. There are New Zealands and Californians (the traditional meat rabbits) available on Craigslist locally, too. And if you're patient, you'll find hutches and wire cages for cheaper prices than the stores, too.

What is it about Rex rabbits that makes you hesitate? I considered Rexes, but decided to go with the larger NZ/Cali cross in the end. That Rex coat is gorgeously soft, a marvelous choice if you want to tan skins in addtion to eating the meat.
I ended up going with Rex. I am a bit nervous though about how big they will get. The lady I got them from is in Cripple Creek.