small dairy goats

akane

Just born
Reaction score
I've been wanting nigerian dwarf goats but they are rather pricy and somewhat hard to find so I'm looking for other suggestions. I don't use much milk at all so quantity is not a big deal. I want the smallest breeds that produce quality milk and have easy going personalities or make good pets.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What about a mini Nubian or mini LaMancha?

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I personally like the nubians and alpines. The nubians can get to be a pretty good size but I'm not sure about the alpines. It seems to me it also depends on what kind of milk you want. Nubians produce less milk but more milkfat (similar to whole milk) to where alpines produce more milk with less milkfat (similar to 1%). I don't know much about any other breeds. The alpines are quite the lookers though!

It's also less expensive if you buy a cross instead of purebred. If all you're wanting is milk I see no reason to pay the extra expense for purebred. Also, you'd have to wait a bit, but it's also less expensive to buy a doeling instead of a full grown already freshened nanny. Things to consider.

D Bar J Acres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A lot of people sell grade nigerians or even registered nigerians that just don't make the cut for showing due to a fault that are priced "cheap". I'm figuring $150 here.

Where are you located and what is your price limit?

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Watch craigslist. Every once in awhile you can find a doe or two owned by 4-H kids that are now wanting to get out of 4-H selling cheap just to get rid of the responsibility (for whatever reason). I found 2 really NICE high % boer doelings (7 months) for $125 through a 4-H'er. It doesn't happen often but it does happen if you're patient.

Also, if you're just wanting a milking goat for home, consider a cross breed. Those usually sell at a reasonable price.

Sometimes people are moving and can't take their goats with them and you can get them pretty "cheap" too.

It takes patience. But you can find good goats that fit your needs/purpose for a reasonable price. Post an ad yourself on craigslist.

earthnut

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nigerians are crossed with all the milk breeds, making mini versions. I've heard lots of good things about the temperament of Mini-Manchas.

akane

Just born
Reaction score
What type of milk I don't really know. It's been years since I drank anything but soy or rice milk. I'm lactose intollerant. I can drink some goat milk but the store bought stuff tends to not be good quality. People also said fresh raw milk is less likely to cause problems than processed stuff. So I'd really like to try having some fresh goat milk. Probably the thicker and richer the better since my biggest complaint on rice milk is how weak and watery it is. Back when I did use milk I generally bought whole cow milk but I hated the taste of all store bought cow milk even when I was a kid so I only used it to cook or put on cereal even before my lactose intollerance started to get bad.

My 2nd purpose is mostly just to have cute little goats and kids every year. Then it would be nice if they kept the backyard trimmed. There's a fenced dog yard of about 1000' ft perimeter that the dogs don't use a whole lot since they are generally only outside when we are and we take them everywhere with us. It also can't be mowed because of rough ground and a steep hillside so it's a wall of brush except a path we cut from the doorway out a little. I need some cute little milk producing self powered brush mowers. :p

I was planning to get 2 registered nigerian dwarf doelings, raise them, and then see if someone near by would let me do stud service once a year. There are a couple I found with flocks but they wanted more like $500 a doe. I'm located in eastern Iowa. If anyone can find me something in the $100-$200 range (maybe $300 for one if the other is cheaper since I want at least 2) then I'd probably take it. I don't want to show but I really would like something that the kids will sell well and I know what I'm getting which is why I was wanting registered pure stock instead of the random mixes I can find. I could get a few of those for free but sometimes people don't even know what they are much less temperament, adult size, or possible milk production.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Akane ... You will find that many people who are lactose intolerant can easily drink fresh milk that hasn't been pasteurized. This is because the heat in pasteurizing kills the lactase that naturally breaks down lactose.

I can drink a gallon a day of our own milk and yet will be sicker than a dog from pasteurized store bought milk. So I can relate this from personal experience.

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
we just picked up 2 that needed to be rehomed. Found them on graigslist for the both $80. They are not registered but for us that is OK. They are smaller then our rott/shepard mix. They are a smaller milking breed but we looked into nubiens(my favorite) and they got way toooo big for our pen!!! Sometimes people post in the pet section (forum) and livestock.

499_n1213980263_30496833_2784003.jpg

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think you have to decide what you want the goats for and what the market is in your area to get the kids sold quickly. I just purchased 2 Nigerian Dwarf doelings that are 8 and 9 weeks old. They are registered. While I'm not looking to show, they do have to have kids every year for milk production. My feeling was that I would be better able to sell registered goats and get a better price. At least with registered goats, some of those bucks could actually sell as bucks and not everything as whethers.

After being in the alpaca business for 12 years, I learned that it is best to buy the best quality you can afford so you have the best opportunity of selling everything you want and selling at a good price.

I was looking for milking goats that didn't give us too much milk and also easy to handle. It is actually a benefit that there are fewer Nigerian Dwarf goats around. If you are the only game in town, then you can really promote your "special" breed and get your kids sold asap. I'm in Ohio and there are Nigerian Dwarf goat farms around but definitely not as many as other dairy goat breeds. While it has been harder for me to find the goats, when it come time to sell mine, I know I will be able to sell them quicker since fewer Nigerians are around. I can't build a big herd of goats and need to be able to sell quickly.