Sneaky whether breeding does?

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a whether that I am a little suspicious of. He doesn't smell goaty and he was castrated very early. Yet, I think he may be breeding. He is constantly mounting. Is it possible for a whether to breed? I'm hoping I'm being paranoid.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He may just be reacting to does that are in heat. Some wethers make GREAT teaser bucks!

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
As long as he has been wethered more then 30 days and as long as you are sure he is not a cryptorchid with one more floating around up there it should be no problem.

hbmimsy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, I guess I won't really know unless I see my Mini Alpine giving birth to Mini Alpine-Manchas?

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Wethers will act like bucks when does are in heat. The only way I knew one of my does was in heat a couple months ago (before we got a buck here) was because my wethers started acting like bucks with her. Chasing her, mounting and making the buck noises. They are most definitely wethers. One was wethered at 5 weeks old, the other at 9 weeks old. I just watched and laughed at their behavior. If you are planning on breeding your doe later I'd mark on your calendar that she was in heat and count 18-21 days which is when she should come in heat again.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
Wethers will act like bucks when does are in heat. The only way I knew one of my does was in heat a couple months ago (before we got a buck here) was because my wethers started acting like bucks with her. Chasing her, mounting and making the buck noises. They are most definitely wethers. One was wethered at 5 weeks old, the other at 9 weeks old. I just watched and laughed at their behavior. If you are planning on breeding your doe later I'd mark on your calendar that she was in heat and count 18-21 days which is when she should come in heat again.
GREAT! :rolleyes: I have three wethers and one doe...who is 8 months old. Come think of it, she may have had her first heat a few weeks back...because I noticed one day all the wethers were chasing her and one of the wethers was making some funny noise. None of them tried to mount her though. Would the wethers also so things like peeing on himself??? I will have to see how bad this will go... May have to trade off the doe since I don't plan to breed her. I only got her to be a companion to her brother. I really wanted all wethers as pets.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Catahoula said:
marlowmanor said:
GREAT! :rolleyes: I have three wethers and one doe...who is 8 months old. Come think of it, she may have had her first heat a few weeks back...because I noticed one day all the wethers were chasing her and one of the wethers was making some funny noise. None of them tried to mount her though. Would the wethers also so things like peeing on himself??? I will have to see how bad this will go... May have to trade off the doe since I don't plan to breed her. I only got her to be a companion to her brother. I really wanted all wethers as pets.
Wethers shouldn't pee on themselves. At least mine didn't. They just acted like bucks for a couple days with the doe.