snuffles or just hot?

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits, NZ white, California, about 6 months old.
Monday I noticed they all had wet muzzles. I thought they were just sweating as the temperatures soared close to 100!! (east FL)

Someone I was talking to said rabbits dont sweat, it is snuffles. ?!
Researched, learned.

But I have never heard them sneeze - I dont even know what that sounds like. There is no dripping from the nose, no dripping from the eyes. They are eating and drinking.

I also noticed the last 2 nights, when the clouds rolled in and it cooled off, the muzzles dried.

Could they be just hot? Would they purposely spray themselves with the automatic nipple type waterer? Or is it snuffles? I bought antibiotics and probiotics yesterday intending to start treatment but didnt get to do it yet.

Opinions appreciated!

woodleighcreek

The Rabbit Queen
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of their noses? And if the inner paws are matted, that is a sign of snuffles.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It sounds like it's from the heat. Are your buns in full shade and in open air cages?

The hair around their noses/mouth will become moist/water-wet looking when they're hot and their mouth might be held slightly open with fast breathing/panting. Once they're cool they don't do that anymore and their face dries up.

It was 110 here yesterday (gets 115-120+) and the ones that are not in the cooled barn got wet down a couple of times during the day with water (just drizzled through my fingers from a gallon jug since it was handiest) and their ears wet down, they also have a big box fan to move air and frozen 2 liter bottles. Mostly not needed but it gives them some relief.

Hoping the best for your buns. :)

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think they are ok. I dont think its snuffles at all.

Their muzzles were not wet yesterday as it was only 90 degrees and not as miserable hot. It was only on them super hot days and everybody was panting, sweating, hot.

I took a picture, there is no drippy nose or eyes, no matting on the front paws.
They are in full shade open air cages, yes. I have shade cloth on the sides where the sun could come in.
I am new to rabbits and didnt know they sweat like that, or maybe wet themselves with the water?
Thanks for the replies!

i6FEC4407-156A-42D9-9E1C-D015A4A4CA4A.jpg

i66BF5215-FEBA-4453-A417-633067AD3AF2.jpg

i537D6E73-97E1-453C-9350-502ED1DB7738.jpg

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am new to rabbits and didnt know they sweat like that, or maybe wet themselves with the water?
It's sweat. But it's a good idea to keep them from getting to that point. One would think otherwise, but when they get really hot they won't drink enough.

It's good they're in open air cages, athough hot climate rabbits really need 100% shade that allows good air flow, and also protection from reflective sun/heat from the ground or other nearby surfaces.

Shade cloth allows a little air (unlike a solid heavy tarp draped on cages) but not enough shade, at least it wouldn't be enough here. The rabbits would have heat stroke with shade cloth. Shade cloth or other materials placed right against or on cages will actually hold heat in...best to have any materials (tarp, shade cloth, wood) at least a few feet off the cages for a buffer zone to allow heat to rise up off the rabbits.

Good luck, and cute buns. :)

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
GOOD! Thank you!

Thanks for the info too. Im not sure how or if I can modify to move the shade cloth away from the cage itself. Its against the fence and the other side is not my propery (empty lot). Its in an open area so there is decent air flow, and the bottom of the cages get air in too... If the shade cloth wasnt there, they would roast in the sun for sure! I have the tin roof painted with that expensive rubber roofing stuff to help insulate it.

Here, maybe this helps visualize. If you see something I can do different I am open to suggestions...

i146831B7-ABD0-4B2C-939E-C76397DF6511.jpg

Thank you again for your help and suggestions! I really do appreciate it.

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
A wet muzzle is a bad sign, your rabbits are overheating dangerously. Do you give them frozen 2L bottles of water? Do you spray down the roof to lower the temp? Do you mist their ears with water? That is where they lose the heat and misting the ears will help by evaporative cooling. I am thinking that the shade cloth is keeping the air from flowing properly because it closes off three sides. Can you prop it away from the cages on the ends? Also, some of that reflective insulation on the underside of the roof will help keep heat out as well.

Shannon
chickenchaps said:
GOOD! Thank you!

Thanks for the info too. Im not sure how or if I can modify to move the shade cloth away from the cage itself. Its against the fence and the other side is not my propery (empty lot). Its in an open area so there is decent air flow, and the bottom of the cages get air in too... If the shade cloth wasnt there, they would roast in the sun for sure! I have the tin roof painted with that expensive rubber roofing stuff to help insulate it.

Here, maybe this helps visualize. If you see something I can do different I am open to suggestions...

http://s3i.dotphoto.com/i146831B7-ABD0-4B2C-939E-C76397DF6511.jpg

Thank you again for your help and suggestions! I really do appreciate it.

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No, I dont/havent done them things. I could spray them when I get home from work, but by then they are already hot - I will do that if it will help them. I leave for work at 5:30 am. Its not hot then. I get home about 3:30. If I put a frozen bottle out there, by the time it did get hot when they need it, it wouldnt be cold anymore anyway.

If I removed the shade cloth the 2 end rabbits would cook, morning and night. As you look at the cages, that is facing south. Thre is a gap on the back shade cloth, and I do believe it allows air flow, sure it may filter it, but air gets through. At least the sun doesnt. I dont think removing the shade cloth is a solution at all. I dont know how I can prop it out. Ideas?

I could glue some styrofoam insulation on the inside of the roofs, maybe that could help some. I could put an extra couple sheets of tin on the roof at both ends and remove the shade cloth from the ends too.

Im trying to think of improvements... Thanks for the help!
Fortunately we dont typically get to 97+ degrees. I am close enough to the coast, we get nice sea breezes. We just had a few miserable days this week. Lets hope we dont get more.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If I understood correctly, the front of the cages face north (a good thing) and the back of the cages get south sun in the afternoon through the shade cloth (not a good thing). :)

The bottom of the cages let air in, but they're also getting reflected sun/heat off the ground under and around the cages.

North facing is good but even direct sun from the north is too much sun. Is the roof attached to another structure to the north of it so it gives shade in the morning, or is it free standing?

The quickest, easiest thing would be to put up a shade canopy of some sort with south backing. Otherwise, and it might take some doing, but if the setup could be moved away from the fence several feet and the back roofline extended that far, then a solid structure that blocks the sun could be added at the back almost all the way to the ground, with the sides of the roof extended out and down to shade the end cages. A hose mister and a fan can really help.

A roof or hutch setup that's not shaded will be extremely hot since it's in direct sun. Your setup looks really nice and would be great if it were under big ol' shade trees or a shade canopy.

If nothing else, I'd add insulated reflective board to the roof and even though it'd be solid, a wood back on the cages almost down to the ground would at least keep the south sun off and out from under them...that, and propping up something solid at the sides, and a big fan. It can attract flies but soaking a large area of ground around them will help, too.