(Snuffles) please comment

cowboyffa84

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok so im pretty sure my rabbit has it i called all the vets in my town trying to get blood test on all my other rabbits to check if they have it and all the vets around here want to do is run up bills they wanna do they want me to bring each rabbit in for a exam which is 39 bucks at the cheapest then so all kinds od testing then do blood/nasal tests which every test cost alot all I want it a quick blood test for each rabbit.

They keep telling me its cure able but what Ive been reading on the web everyone says that its not, and two of the vets say they know it is I told him id rather cull the rabbit then put 100's of dollars into it just for it to die a slow painful death. I need some advice quick.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we have had several ribbits that sneeze, but do not get thick nasal discharge. we also had a couple we had a necropsy done at the state lab because the were bloating and dying. neither had the pasturella virus, thus no snuffles in the rabbitry. so you might not actually have snuffles.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
They won't die from it if you treat it, just have a recurring flare up.
It's not curable, you can treat at home to clear the flares, but they will always be carriers and be able to infect other rabbits.
I do not believe this is something to really fear, if your rabbits are strong and healthy, their immunity should keep it away or at bay.
Kind of like cocci, it's everywhere and it will never go away, so fearing it is pointless.
You can cull all the rabbits, if you think all have it. Or wait until each shows symptoms and then cull it. Either way, it's possible this will always be lurking in your rabbitry for years, decades and you won't know it. So I don't get why all should be killed for an impossible sterile herd.
Have you tried a livestock vet and not a pet vet?
Snuffles is a bacteria, so it should be curable, but its also ever present in the environment. I've also read on rabbit forums, that the bacteria hide in the nose, deep where the blood flow is limited and thus the antibiotics won't reach and flush it all out. To me, that sounds like a bunch of poo, but I'm no scientist. Most drugs, human and animal, are far over used and misused. That creates drug resistant strains that are even harder to get rid of. If you think about it, inventing antibiotics was one of the worst things in history. It's not controlled like it should, doctors sign prescriptions for the cold, which is a virus! No drugs can kill a virus, but people don't want to "do nothing and wait it out" so they demand drugs to make their egos feel better. But that just makes things worse if you didn't have a virus, but a different bacteria and just showing symptoms of a cold, you're just allowing the bacteria to get stronger in the long run.

So really, you can do a few things.
Kill all of them.
Kill only ones with symptoms.
Treat ones with symptoms and only kill those who do not respond.
Or just let things take their course.

Again, try a livestock vet or your State vet to get tests done.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
currycomb said:
we have had several ribbits that sneeze, but do not get thick nasal discharge. we also had a couple we had a necropsy done at the state lab because the were bloating and dying. neither had the pasturella virus, thus no snuffles in the rabbitry. so you might not actually have snuffles.
Yep!
I had a rabbit that was allergic to the pine tree I moved it under. She had a runny nose and sneeze, once I moved her away from it, she was fine.

adorable

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The difference between sneezing and sneezing and having white snot is to different thing. THis is snuffles no ways around it. You can treat her ,so she is feels better.But she will become a carrier. I will not have this rabbit with others. So what you can do is have a litter with her. Only keep the daughters that dosnt show any signs and cull the mom later.Or give her to a pet only home with no other rabbits. She is not allergic to things when there is snott.

Like secuoon said. Call livestock vet. They might help you better than a pet on. Meat rabbits are livestock , but allot of vets in my area dont think so.

There is a chance she had this before you got her and it just flared up because of weather changes to fast ect.

cowboyffa84

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Can you eat the ones that might have it?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe you can eat the mom, as long as you haven't given her any antibiotics. If you did, you need to wait 30 days for the withdraw.
Should be fine to eat the kits. Many keep the infected parents and just use them as personal meat, no selling of their offspring.

Latest posts