So far so good

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get high-protein feed with canola meal, cottonseed meal or soybean meal as a high protein source if it's needed. (Cows can actually eat soybean meal without any toxic effects, unlike with us humans--certain toxins produced by soybeans can be broken down in the rumen, those toxins can't exactly be broken down in the same way in humans--hence the new developments and fear about soy products being bad for people.) Grain is primarily starch and little protein. Other great protein sources that are more natural are legume hays (alfalfa, laspadenza, clover, sanfoin, cicer milkvetch, birdsfoot trefoil, etc.) The higher the protein content, the better for these little calves, because they need the protein (and calcium and phosphorus, also very important vitamins) for growth, not nearly so much the carbohydrates/energy right now. I too would ignore the feeding directions on the bag: They are recommendations, after all, not something you absolutely must follow or else.

It seems like you have things under control, though, and with the added suggestions like what I and others have been telling you about, I think you'll do just fine with those two. :)

Keep up the good work, and a belated Welcome to the World of Raising Cattle! :D

california cowgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You will know if they are eating too much rich food or roughage and they will bloat and that is colic kicking at the belly and rolling grinding teeth diareah and acts like scours. Of course with the medicated milk or even antibiotics you can get the runs you need a good probiotic in their feed you are feeding. Any suggestions??? I feed Fast Tracks it comes in a bag like ground up cereal you can feed in the bottle or add to loose feed helps with good bugs in their gut. As for worming I would wait a bit at this age they are just drinking mostly a liquid diet and not eating too much off the ground. Our calves do not get their first worming till shipping out for the summer around May- June on irrigated pasture. Mountain calves get their first worming when they come home from summer as do Valley calves get another worming since irrigated pasture is more suceptable to worms. They calves are born in the winter months so say Nov- Mar. So age wise they are older calves. But your vet might consider something else since they are barnyard bound. I have never used medicated milk but I know antibiotics can cause the runs and it kills good bacteria in the gut so the probiotics daily would help. Glad to hear they are better and NO navel infections. Sounds good sofar.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our ranch is at the base of the gently rolling hills of the Sierra Nevada Mts. just east of Fresno / Clovis. We recently moved to Vancouver, Wa. area due to my too much heat related issues.

california cowgirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh I hear you but we are lifelong on this ranch too much history and too many generations. Those foothills around Fresno and Clovis looked so neat when we were down that way some years ago buying a pup. Good luck where you are at.

ChickenLittle

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The boys are officially one month old today. They are still eating milk replacer and we figured we were going to keep feeding them that until they are 8 weeks at least. But now they are eating grass very well and are working on learning to eat hay now. They look so much better and have grown so much.

954899_10151782323028305_647567677_n.jpg

1380101_10151782323033305_1514224621_n.jpg

ChickenLittle

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have to catch some pictures of them playing. We hung a horse ball from a pole in the pasture and it looks like they are playing tetherball they will bat it back and forth at each other. So funny to watch