So many sheep breeds to choose from!

cedarhillfiberfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I already have four angora goats, but I would like to add a few sheep as well. I am limited in barn space, I'd say two regular sized sheep, or three small ones to fit comfortably. My angora goats are on the small and gentle side, so I want to stay with small and gentle sheep. (I know you're thinking, "goats? gentle? Impossible!" I would like a sheep breed that produces lots of fine, soft wool, (like merino) but most of those are so big. I did look at a few miniature sheep breeds, and I really like their size and personalities, but not so much the wool.
So here are my questions: First, is there a small breed of sheep that produces lots of fine, soft wool that I am overlooking?

I wouldn't mind a cross, but wouldn't a specific cross be hard to find?

Could I make my own cross? I.e. buy a ewe, have her bred to ram of choice, and keep resulting lambs and their mother. Foreseen problem: The ewe would only have goats for company until her babies arrived. -- I like this idea, but it needs A LOT more thought first.

I am at the brainstorming stage, and I think choosing a breed will be the hardest part...there are so many to choose from!

I like to do my research well in advance, so this is something I would plan to do in the next few years.
Any random advice to offer would also be appreciated, I'm all ears!

Thank you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have hair sheep. But if I were to have a wool sheep, the Cotswold would catch my eye because of those long lovely locks. I don't have wool sheep because that would lead me down a whole new road.......I'd have to get a spinning wheel and learn to spin, knit, crochet, probably toss in weaving to that, and I already know how to hook rugs. Do not have time for all that right now.

Cotswolds are big and you want small. @secuono has small wool sheep. She can tell you all about them.

cedarhillfiberfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

cedarhillfiberfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have hair sheep. But if I were to have a wool sheep, the Cotswold would catch my eye because of those long lovely locks.

Cotswold sheep do have gorgeous locks, similar to my angoras! It does take time to get into the fiber crafts, and it is so addicting. There are so many tools needed to process fiber much less use it. I'm still working on building my tools.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The Merino sheep is the base of fine wool production and is the smallest of the fine wool sheep. However, they can be quite flighty. Ramboullet has great fine wool production that was the basis of US wool and slaughter x-bred lamb production. Corriedale is a great wool producer for a small home operation.( I raised quite a few of these two breeds). Just as a heads up : When you consider the sheeps' purchase price, annual feed and your labor for upkeep costs, breeding/ replacement of the sheep costs as well as cost of sheering is way high even if you can find someone to sheer the sheep in this day and age. It would be cheaper to buy already processed imported wool for hobby needs.

Last edited:

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
How small do you consider small? A number of my cormos are about the same size as my angoras and are as fine as you could want. You can certainly create your own mix but I would caution against keeping a ewe with only goats for company. In my experience goats can be sort of snobby and the species really prefer their own company.

cedarhillfiberfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How small do you consider small? A number of my cormos are about the same size as my angoras and are as fine as you could want.

I'm thinking of something around the size of my angoras, so not too much over 100lbs.
I really hadn't considered that breed, but it does seem like it might fit my purpose. I actually happen to know of someone close who raises them, so I could easily go for a visit. I'll have to try some of their wool. How much do they usually produce per year?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you were to get 2 small sheep, you could keep them with the goats but you would have to adjust minerals. Goats need a lot more copper than sheep so you could buy sheep minerals and then copper bolus the goats every 4-6 months as needed. :)

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi All, I have been meaning to introduce myself but not got round to it, so apologies. But this post was too interesting to me to keep quiet! I have 4 beloved pet sheep and 2 are Shetlands - a gimmer and a wether lamb, and Shetlands seem to fit your requirements perfectly unless I am totally missing the point. Shetlands have the finest of all UK sheep wool, very popular with spinners and are tiny - about 60-100 lbs I guess. My little pair are ultra friendly (one was a pet lamb, other not) and they are very tough. My only hesitation is whether they could handle some of the USA climates especially the heat (they are very tough re cold and wet etc and eat poor quality grass/thistles/nettles, but the Shetland isles are between Scotland and Norway! I only know people in the UK with them. You would have to check, if you live in a hot place. Look at the Shetland Society page http://www.shetland-sheep.org.uk/page.php?Plv=1&P1=6&P2=&P3=
Is that any help? Will do a proper intro shortly on the intro page! And I support "latestarter" - do be careful not to accidentally copper poison your sheep, they are very sensitive.