So what about that hooch-pooch picture stuff? - YOOO HOO..ARIEL!

Shootingstars

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
glenolam said:
To me the only thing that looks different is that the bottom picture (open doe) has those two lines going down to the vulva and the top doesn't.
I agree, are we not seeing those lines because as that area enlarges they sort of stretch or what?

Thanks for showing the pics!

chels24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't really know what you look for, but open pictures of a doe and later this week I'll know if she comes back in heat again. Then at the 2 month mark I can put pics of the same doe open and bred

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK - so these girls are driving me crazy. No udders, not sure if they ever took to breeding or not. I took these pictures with tailes raised by the goats (not me)

Hooch-pooch experts - your thoughts?

This is Eloise - I've had to take her to the buck twice; once on 1/4/11 and then again 1/20/11 - 1/23/11. She *may* have come into heat this weekend (18 days later) but she's not as bellowy as she usually is when in heat. It's more quiet and she's not as hormonal as she usually is:

39440_cimg5133.jpg

Now this one I witnessed a mounting on 9/25/10 (would've had a due date of 2/22/11), but I was too far away to see penetration. She's a pygmy & has yet to build an udder

39440_cimg5135.jpg

And I'm just not sure about these two:

39440_cimg5137.jpg

She's sorta white - this was the best shot I could get:

39440_cimg5139.jpg

Our7Wonders

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about pooch pictures, however - your last doe pictured - the one that is white - her back side looks similar to my Ariel's backside and she's due in 10 days. Elongated and swollen - now, I'm still waiting on any kind of udder development but she's definately bred and I felt babies moving like crazy yesterday.

It's frustrating. Why can't they make pregnancy stick tests for livestock? I'd happily follow my goat around to catch a pee sample so I could test it. That would WAY easier than blood draws and all that.

Sorry I can't help - it is interesting to hear and see the "experts" read a goat pooch.

Good luck!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Funny you say that about Nilly O7W - My hubby swears he sees her belly move, but it's always on the left side so I chaulk it up to her rumen.

The last two does pictured are FF and bred to a really small buck (pyg/nigi) so I'm hoping for easy delivieries like my first FF had.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to tell in your pictures....it's hard to get a good picture of that anyway. :lol: The last two I'm not all that sure on, so don't take my word for it. The pictures are also best if you are not pulling upwards on the tail, as the pull distorts the shape of things...but they don't like to cooperate with having a camera back there, so it can be tough to get a shot otherwise. It can also be informative to "bounce" a doe at the 2 month mark--the uterus becomes heavy and fluid-filled as the unborn kids develop, and you can usually feel a difference at that point. Stand behind the doe and put your hands on her belly just in front of the udder and lift firmly upward. If you can feel something like a solid basketball in there, she's bred. If she feels squishy and you don't encounter anything firm and round like that, she's probably open. Not 100% accurate, but it's a good test once you know what you're feeling for.

I'm going to go with
Eloise: looks bred to me from the picture, but if she was in heat less than a month ago it's too early to tell.
2: looks bred, I'd say 2-3 months along.
3: doesn't look bred
4: doesn't look bred

What you are looking for begins to show up about 8 weeks after breeding. It is more dramatic in some does than others, and gets more apparent the longer they are pregnant. On an open doe, the anus is tucked far back under the tail. A 2+ month bred doe will begin to slightly bulge outward, so the hollowness goes away and the anus becomes more flush with the vulva. The vulva will get more flabby and open looking, and will sort of pooch outwards a bit and elongate, it doesn't have the sort of puckered look that an open doe has. I'll try to find some pictures to illustrate.

Ok, here's a really poochy doe, 4 months pregnant.
SANY0436-1-1.jpg

This doe is also pregnant:
SANY0438-1.jpg

This doe is open: (But still a tiny bit poochy as she had recently kidded)
SANY0177-1.jpg

Here's another open doe. You can't see the anus here, but you can see how the area is sort of puckered up, a bred doe loses that.
SANY0352-2.jpg

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Ariel!

I'll try to get different pictures and update them - as you mentioned it's not that easy. I didn't have to pull up on their tails, but I did sorta hold them up with my forearms so I could get the camera in there....gee....I feel like I violated them.

#4 there is really swollen above her vagina opening. I haven't paid any attention to whether or not her anus is flush or not, but I'll take a look next time I'm out there. She's also bigger than her sister (#3) and my hubby "claimes" he's seen her tummy moving as if there were kids in there, but who knows. I don't believe it until I see it.

I have noticed that Opi (#2) is certainly developing an udder. It's now getting a little more firm and bigger - DANG - pygmy udders are teeny! This is supposedly her 2nd freshening. Last year she had triplets - two does and a buck - so I'm hoping she'll be as nice to me as she was for her previous owner.

Thanks again and I'll try to get pics in daylight.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I see it!!! I finally see it!!!!! :weee

Hmmm.....thinking about rousting my six does out of their sound sleep after midnight and looking at their hoo-hoos...... :p

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh goodness, I am sure they would LOOOVE you for that! LOL :gig