space issue

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, i have an opportunity to get 2 more nigerians. they need rehoming!! I am wondering how much space each goat needs, to be fair! I am worried my pen is to small and wonder if i should let them free range my yard to make up on space. the 2 i have love the space they have. We are moving the chickens out and the whole pen will be theirs.

I just want to make sure it's enough room, pen is 24x12. We do let the goats out in our yard to graise but have to supervise them due to grapes.I know nigerians are small but i just don't want them to feel crowded while in the pen. The shed is nice and 4 can fit laying on floor but hubby wants to build ramps and shelves to give them other options.

Thanks~
Heather

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would think 12x24 would be fine for Nigerians. I'm not sure on the square foot per goat but I have 2 Nigerians in a 12x14 stall with 10x38 overhang space outside the stall. We will be adding 3 more Nigerians and will add another 12x14 stall to house everyone.

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I said yes to them...hehehe they are a mom and baby. 4-H kid who lost interest. For both 90 bucks. they are rehoming goats so we are cool with that!

She had a male nubian cross but i said NO to him. I don't want to have him in with nigerians and he's not fixed. The breeder said she would take him back. The mom is a year and baby 4 months. Pick them up today
Pic's to come~

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
That is great that you were willing to take them in. :)

Good luck with the goats. I know you will enjoy them.:D

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! How long should i quarrintine them? i know i just spelled that wrong..hahaha

they wanted me to take the nubian cross but i just couldn't! To big, not fixed and i have prue nigerians and kinda scared me....lol

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
We do a 30 day quarantine - update the CD&T boosters, do 3 dewormings and a 14 day cocci treatment before introducing to our other animals. This also gives time for CAE testing if not current.