Starting with goats - A Dilema

ecocheapomom

Just born
Reaction score
We are about to set out on our first adventure with goats and I am in need of a bit of advice. We have done all of our research and have decided on Nigerian Dwarfs. We want to keep goats for milking and also have small children so the nigerians seem like a good fit for us. Back in March, we met with a local breeder who had some kids available and we put our deposit down on a set of three siblings - one doe and two wethers. Long story short, we developed a major fox problem on our property which required us to change the housing for our chickens and delayed us in getting ready for the goats. So we had to let the original trio go.
Now we are back on track and ready, but with the extra time I had to think, I decided that it would probably be more useful in the future if we had two does and one wether (the wether will most likely be for my daughter to do some 4H activities with) even if it costs more up front. So the breeder only has one doeling available right now, but she thought she might be willing to let us buy the doe's mother and brother as well. This seemed perfect because we could try our hand at milking right now. But now she said that the mother is not available and she has the one doeling and two wethers for us. I would very much like two females and there is another local farm (with an excellent reputation) that has a doe in milk available with a doeling/wether set of twins. This would be perfect, but the original breeder has my deposit and I would also feel guilty cancelling on her since she was very patient and understanding with our the delays in our schedule.
The breeder who we have been working with gets many of her goats from the farm that has the perfect trio so I am wondering if we can work something out or would that be bad to ask? Am I wrong to change my mind about what I am looking for. I am thinking about feed costs and the return on our investment and what would suit our family best.
Sorry for the long story, but I don't have any goat folks here that I can seek advice from. Thanks!

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Can you take a doe and wether from the original lady and then get another form a different source now or later? That way, she could use your deposit towards the two and you get what you want.

I agree, if you want to milk, two does will be better in the long run for you so you can alter and give them breaks too.

ecocheapomom

Just born
Reaction score
That is an option, but the only down side is for future breeding. I wasn't planning on keeping a buck right now and most of the farms want to keep a closed herd so if you only get goats from them you can bring your doe back for stud service. But if you introduce any new goats from other farms they won't let you back for fear of disease.

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If the one breeder buys goats from the other then perhaps she would still offer you stud service if you buy only from those two herds. I would be upfront with the original breeder that you are interested in milking so would like to end up with two does for the sake of the does' health so as not to overtax a single one.

I doubt she would return the deposit (and I wouldn't ask) but perhaps she will let you apply all of it to two goats instead of three? Or maybe apply it to the doeling and wether and put part toward a future prepaid stud agreement?

Are the goats from the two farms equal in milking quality? If you are serious about milking and breeding milkers that is going to be important.

That being said, I spent as little as possible on my goats and did the research to hopefully get decent if not outstanding quality, since I am still learning. If things go well and once I have some experience maybe I will someday look at some of the pricier animals. Still, mine are pretty decent for my needs, lacking only in that I can't ask top dollar for their kids. I guess what I'm saying -- in a roundabout way lol -- is to consider too what you really want to do with the goats and what you need in terms of quality to meet your needs and weigh that in too?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My customers sign an agreement that 'deposits are non-refundable if you change your mind'....

All you can do is explain your dilemma to the 1st breeder and see what she thinks....be honest and don't make excuses....

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If nothing else perhaps you can buy all three and sell the extra wether then buy a doe/ling when she has one available? I guess it depends on what the market is like where you are and how much deposit you have in the wether.

But yes, what Roll said. In doing business, a good businessperson is flexible and fair and knows too that future goodwill and later transactions are important to consider as well. I hope it works well for you.

In fact if you do have a good rapport, you might even want to mention the other trio. If one farmer typically sells to the other, maybe something CAN be worked out to everyones benefit.

Good luck! :)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Ultimately do what is best for you If you lose a deposit, sometimes that is a lesson learned. Like everyone else said, I would be honest.

chicken fruit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If it were me I'd let her know that you'll lose the deposit if she cant sell them outright in the next week or so- so you're not leaving her without any gain.

and then go ahead with the other goats that more closely fit your needs.

It makes the most sense to have two does and a whether. The only way if could make more sense is if you had just the other doe and one of her whethers and bought a second unrelated doe from the other breeder. But as it is you could very easily just take the second group and be done with it all.

I sell animals, and breed animals- while I dont want to be stringed along, I do make it a point not to have anything I am not willing to keep/fatten for freezer if a purchaser backs out on me. Personally I expect people to be fickle and leave me in a spot. Doesnt mean iam not willing to help them out, and work with them, but I also dont let it bother me if they end up not being able to buy. I can just as easily sell to someone else. Everyone breeding animals should function that way, most do.

ecocheapomom

Just born
Reaction score
I emailed the breeder today and it turned out that she had just decided that she wanted to keep one more buckling and sell one more doeling so it turned out to be a good thing. We will be bringing home our trio of kids at the end of July. I'm so glad it worked out! Thanks for all the wise words!

lolalucy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thats great I am glad it all worked out for you.