Suggestions wanted for breed selection

Smiles

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
DW and I are retired from 9-to-5 jobs and have a small farm in rural Indiana. Our livestock consists of two cows, 10 +/- chickens, six rabbits, eight beehives, and what farm would be without dogs and cats. Both cows, four rabbits, and some chickens are grandchildren's 4H projects. I don't have much to do with the cows.

I'm getting some pressure to get into goats. One of the kids wants full size Nubians and another wants three of those tiny dwarf or miniature goats.

I need help with a decision on what to get. I have a 18'x10' tool shed that I converted into a goat barn with three stalls and a fenced 60'x24' goat yard. The fence is only 42" high so I'm pretty sure a full size goat could jump easily.

I don't know much about goats but I have a feeling I'm going to learn ;). Thanks.

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Smiles said:
DW and I are retired from 9-to-5 jobs and have a small farm in rural Indiana. Our livestock consists of two cows, 10 +/- chickens, six rabbits, eight beehives, and what farm would be without dogs and cats. Both cows, four rabbits, and some chickens are grandchildren's 4H projects. I don't have much to do with the cows.

I'm getting some pressure to get into goats. One of the kids wants full size Nubians and another wants three of those tiny dwarf or miniature goats.

I need help with a decision on what to get. I have a 18'x10' tool shed that I converted into a goat barn with three stalls and a fenced 60'x24' goat yard. The fence is only 42" high so I'm pretty sure a full size goat could jump easily.

I don't know much about goats but I have a feeling I'm going to learn ;). Thanks.
Well, we're first time goat owners and we have 2 nigerians. Their pretty friendly, the wether not so much, and are hardy. The owners didnt vaccinate other then worm, so that might be it. I want a full size goat, but having dwarfs cna make it 10 times easier with half the things (like them escaping)

Best of luck !

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Hello!

I raise Nubians in Indiana.....
You're welcome to come meet our goats and see what you think....My website link / contact info is all right there under my name. :D

<<<

Smiles

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Hello! I raise Nubians in Indiana..... You're welcome to come meet our goats and see what you think....My website link / contact info is all right there under my name. :D<<<
I can't find a link in your signature line. Thanks for the invitation. We may take a day to visit.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At this point, I think a better question is what do you want the goats for? Show? Meat? Dairy? Pets?
My wife and I run a very small meat operation (about 12 goats - 1 Buck, 4 Mamas, rest for sale as meat or will go int the freezer) and an even smaller dairy operation (2 alpines and 1 saanen milking, and the babies are boer crosses going for meat). It's closer to being profitable than it was two years ago as we get a handle on how we are doing things.

We have had goats off and on for years, mostly as lawnmowers/pets. Three years ago we started taking it seriously. As pets, you want friendly goats, friendly from day 1!. Seeing/handling petting them is the only way you can figure this out. For us, dairy goats need to be the same way. MEat/production goats not so much, unless you are selling them as show goats (which we are not).

I am in central ohio, 60 minutes drive NE of columbus - likely too far from you, but if you are ever over this way let me know and you could stop in and see how we do things.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Roll farms said:
Hello! I raise Nubians in Indiana..... You're welcome to come meet our goats and see what you think....My website link / contact info is all right there under my name. :D<<<
I can't find a link in your signature line. Thanks for the invitation. We may take a day to visit.
<<< Over there under my name and picture but here ya go.... http://rollfarms.com/
A link to the Nubian / Oberhasli page...which I just realized I really, really need to update. :hide

http://rollfarms.com/id31.html

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Roll farms said:
I think she means under 'Roll Farms' the name, where it says website

Here ---> http://www.rollfarms.com/

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If the kids like showing and are involved in 4H, checking on what is shown at your local fair may help make a decision. Our fair only has a meat goat show, boer and boer cross. But the county over has a breed show where kids can show any breed of goat.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Roll farms said:
I am sure once you pay a visit at Roll Farms, all you'll want are Nubians and Boers!!! especially the spotted ones! :clap

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I think Nigerian Dwarf Goats are great for first timers. Going to meet Roll Farms would be a good thing to do. She knows alot about goats and livestock in general. Pretty much all meat goats are good and easy to take care of. LaManchas and Nubians are pretty easy and Nigerians are small and super easy. You know what? Most goats are pretty easy. The only issue with a bigger goat is it can be harder to handle and trim their feet.