SUPER weak 4 month old Nigerian Dwarf...HELP!

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ughhhh...no I have neither. I drenched him with a dose of Levamisole two weeks ago and then again this afternoon when I noticed he was off. All the feed stores here are closed and I have been super rude and called all the breeders I know of within 2 hours of us to see if they have any and of course (and very reasonably for 9pm and most of the area being under a tornado watch!) they are not answering.
He has perked up a bit. But still awful. If he makes it through the night we will be waiting at the vet when they open!!!

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was searching through my goat medicine chest and found a packet of Corrid. I have always heard it is pretty useless...but it is worth a try at all? He has been eating food with deccox since before he was weaned. Ugh...I've tried to keep him healthy and protect him...I feel like such a goat mommy failure. :(

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Right now we're not even sure what's wrong w/ him...cocci, entero, bacterial, etc.

Corrid may help if it is cocci. I don't know how to tell you to mix it, though, I use DiMethox. You might check fiasco for dosage info.

I have seen DiMethox literally bring about improvement overnight.
I would get some and keep it on hand...it'll treat bacterial issues or cocci, so it's great to have around.

The thing about medicated feed is unless you do a round or two of prevention until they're eating enough of it, they can't eat enough as itty bitty kids to get the deccox up to therapeutic levels...and deccox won't 'cure' cocci, only prevent it if they don't already have it.

A lot of folks are under the impression (I was once...) that medicated feed guarantees you a cocci-free kid.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Good luck w/ him.

eta: don't feel like a failure...most of us will tell you we learned this stuff the same way you're learning...through situations like this. Darn goats don't come w/ instruction manuals, unfortunately.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Keeping my fingers crossed for him...whatever ingredient(s) in the cocktail of treatments that have been shoved down his throat and injected into his little body *seem* to be doing some good. He is nosing around a bit, nibbling on toes, and eating! Much better than earlier when he couldn't barely take a step without tipping over! Right now he is snuggled up on DH's lap for the night. Poor dear sweet hubbs...he has offered to keep watch over him throughout the night. Love him. :)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
don't feel like a failure...most of us will tell you we learned this stuff the same way you're learning...through situations like this. Darn goats don't come w/ instruction manuals, unfortunately.
:hugs yep

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
BABY MADE IT!!! He looks like a completely different goat! Energetic. Eyes alert, ears erect again rather than droopy. Good appetite. Normal, round, completely formed goatie poops. Chewing, normal gut sounds, RUNNING! Skipping! Holy cow!
I am so thrilled! Exhausted...baby goat slept in a laundry basket in our room so we could hear him cry and come help him so we were up quite a bit of the night...but it was totally worth it because he is doing great!!!
Thank you so much everyone! Baby so appreciates it!!!
<------------- Avi pic is Baby, in case anyone was wondering!

happydodgefarm6113

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
New goat owner here and Ihave read your thread and I am so happy your little kid came through. I learned quit a bit of valuable information from the wonderful people that helped you. Thanks for your story.