supplementing hay

sallyonthefarm

Just born
Reaction score
I usually have been able to just feed good alfalfa hay to my four Fresian and five Jacob sheep over the winter here in MN, but because of the dry weather I was not able to get as much and needed to start supplementing pasture sooner. I have no idea what would be best to add to stretch my 108 bales of hay out over the next six months -- or what proportions are best. Thanks for any advice.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You can buy alfalfa pellets or grain. Usually you can replace 2 lbs of hay for 1 lb of grain. If you have alfalfa hay, you can even feed straight corn.

Alice Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm in MN too - I feel your pain. Ours are usually on pasture until November, easily. This drought really got us (we are in the Severe area), and our pasture dried up to a few weeds and dust in JUNE! :(:(

Our solution was to buy more hay.
Hay is still cost-wise a better deal than getting alfalfa pellets, grains, etc. for maintenance feeding. We add in some grain later in gestation and nursing and now for flushing, but hay is a staple (and substitute for pasture this year).

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our solution was to buy more hay.
We are in the same boat. For June, July & August our animals were all on hay 24/7. Thankfully we have had some rain but had to put the cows back on hay this week to let the grass recover again after them eating it down. We have to order another semi load of hay this week & can only hope that it will get us through the winter. Prices are high & good hay is hard to find but we would still rather have the sheep & cows on hay rather than grain.

Alfalfa pellets are over $11 per 50 lbs down here do expensive. We just feed that to our cows when we are milking them.

Liz

meadow1view

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
sallyonthefarm said:
I usually have been able to just feed good alfalfa hay to my four Fresian and five Jacob sheep over the winter here in MN, but because of the dry weather I was not able to get as much and needed to start supplementing pasture sooner. I have no idea what would be best to add to stretch my 108 bales of hay out over the next six months -- or what proportions are best. Thanks for any advice.
Something to consider: the other side of the story (beginning next year) would be to extend the production of your pastures out as far as possible. This can be accomplished using pasture rotation management systems which allow for adequate recovery periods for your grass, lay down soil organic matter, increase microbial activity, shade your soils from excessive heat, and will increase dry matter production greatly. I use Holistic Management specifically (high density grazing) which is different than MIG in that you observe your specific conditions (time of year, growing conditions, type of grasses, forbes, etc., and the type of animals you are managing) and move the animals accordingly. This year we managed 55 sheep and goats on 7 acres on grass only in western Missouri (D4 drought for much of the summer). We are still not feeding any hay at this point. If you consider that 6 sheep and 5 goats are equal to the consumption of 1 (1000 lb) cow, that is the equivalent of 10 animal units (1000 lb cattle) on 7 acres or 1.4 animal units/acre. Around here, everyone claims you need 3-4 acres per cow/calf pair (approx. .4 animal units/acre), but that is under a continuous grazing scheme (which would be true).

How many acres do you graze? Do you know what kinds of grasses are prevalent?

To be honest, I stopped feeding alfalfa hay several years ago because it simply was a waste of money and difficult to find at times. If you feed a well-raised grass hay in sufficient quantities to provide adequate nutrition (just like when they are grazing during the summer), the animals will do well.

In a pinch, you can mix a little table sugar (sucrose) in some water and provide for them to help supplement. Sucrose is a disaccharide made up of glucose and fructose. Fructose has many cell-protecting benefits to all warm blooded creatures and glucose is what all of our bodies burn (respire) for energy. Dogs who have been wasting away (losing excessive weight) have been therapeutically restored to health by putting some sugar on their table scraps. We have helped speed up reconditioning of some sheep and goats by giving them sugar dissolved in water. I currently have a 13 year old Dorper ewe that is still giving me lambs - due to her age, she needs additional nutrition for cellular repair so I give her some sugar water which helps put a little more "bounce in her step."

Hope you find what you need for the winter.

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I AM AN 100% NATURAL FEEDER..AND IN 45 YRS..I HAVE ONLY HAD THE VET OUT MAYBE 4 TIMES...AND IT WAS NEVER FOR A SHEEP..JUST THE HORSES GETTING LEG BOO=BOO-S..I WILL NOT FEED A MAN MADE SUPPLIMENTS AT ALL..thats why i never have to have vets out..on a solid grass/hay feeding and they have access to grass/hays 24/7 and everyday..they are pastured with their round bales of hay..just like you see in a horse or cattle pasture... in the winter i will give my sheep/goats ect..whole corn which was grown locally in our farm towns where i live..that way i know nothing has been added to my corn feed...and whole corn and not crushed corn..with crushed corn..they can eat more it it than they should..with whole corn, they are as less likely to gorge themselves to a death.whole corn fill them up faster and gives their gut something to break up..but please if you use this..dont give them a lot..one gallon a day for about 3 grown sheep or goats..corn is great in the winter..it helps their guts produce heat and it helps them stay warmer in the winter and it will fatten an animal up in 2 to 3 months..in summer..you dont need it

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
the other side of the story (beginning next year) would be to extend the production of your pastures out as far as possible.
Rotation is definitely the key & one we had planned to put into action this past year but the drought hit & that was the end of it. We had "screwed" up in 2011 by overstocking with cows - something we had to learn the hard way. With most of the cows gone now except for our milk cows we are hoping that next year will be much better. We will never be able to MIG or HDG due to the number of separate breeding herds we have here (our business is selling registered breeding stock consisting of many lines) BUT we are going to divide our main sheep pasture that is now only in half into four sections for next season. Cow pasture which is now into three will probably get divided into 6. Each pasture/strip has to be routed into to the pond for water - we do not or not going to carry water to the animals when we have three good ponds here for them to drink from.

It all takes time & is a gradual process but we will get there in time & then should not have to feed so much hay in the future. For this year we have to live with the fact that the animals are going to be on hay for a longer period than we would like.

I think many folks on here are on a journey towards improving how they raise/pasture their animals. Some only have a couple acres, others have more but they all are looking to improve what they have knowing that it is not going to happen overnight. We all have slightly different views but that is OK as it makes for interesting conversations & we learn from each other.

Liz

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome Davis Farms :) I got interrupted writing my above post so did not see your post until I had written mine.

People often ask us how much our vet bills are & we say "practically zero for sickness." We have a great vet that we know very well & see often but only for vet/travel papers for animals going across state lines. We also let him castrate our boar feeder pigs as Richard & I do not like to do that job!

Many folks do not have the privilege of having a decent large animal vet around them which is a shame. We are very blessed.

Raising animals to be hardy is vital - culling off the poor producers/weak/sickly ones is crucial to this. Some folks can be a little too soft when it comes to this but in nature it is the survival of the fittest & that is how the species survives. If/when we get a sickly/slow growing lamb we cull it as we do not want those genetics in our flock. Of course there is balance in all this, if a lamb gets a cut or something we will treat that.

Liz

bluebirdsnfur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Love this kind of information! :caf Thanks all for sharing!

And yes, welcome Davis Farms!