Swollen Lump On Goats Throat with Pictures... UPDATED~ NOT CL!!!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think you need the vet to stick a needle in it and see if he/she can get some fluid or pus out. Then test it. You can culture the bacteria to see which antibiotic would be effective. I don't know if an xray or ultrasound would do anything. Are there any signs of it busting open like an abscess would?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nope no sign of it bursting, it'd definitely not an abscess.

I'll call the vet and schedule a time to do an aspiration and culture.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You may also want to consider having a full blood workup done and also include a protein/mineral workup.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Updated just in case it would help someone... :)

The lump was hard, hard, hard for the longest time, then just this last week it started getting softer and really big, almost softball size.

Took her back to the vet today and she aspirated, sent a sample to the lab for culture, depressed all the pus out (150cc's!) and flushed it out with a liter of betadine water...

So it did end up being an abcess, we just aren't sure from what. She said we should have the culture results back by about Tuesday.

For now she is on banamine and penicillin and I am flushing it twice a day with iodine, and she is in quarantine on the other side of the property.

Pray it's not CL!!! :fl

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Be sure to put Iodine on it once a day too. That will help it heal faster and keep it clean.

What color was the pus? Was it rather thick, sticky, and yellow?

byardbabe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
White Mountain Ranch,
Your girls are beautiful, and so is your ranch. I am sending my thoughts and prayers your way..

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OOPS..ITS BOTTLE JAW...YOU BETTER GET HER SOME WORMS MEDS FAST..I HAVE SEEN THEM DIE OVER NIGHT WHEN LEFT UNTREATED..SHE IS ALREADY PALE...give her some LA 200 too..it will help her fight infection

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
DAVIS FARM said:
OOPS..ITS BOTTLE JAW...YOU BETTER GET HER SOME WORMS MEDS FAST..I HAVE SEEN THEM DIE OVER NIGHT WHEN LEFT UNTREATED..SHE IS ALREADY PALE...give her some LA 200 too..it will help her fight infection
Bottle Jaw forms under the jaw and not the throat. It is also not two lumps, so this is not Bottle Jaw. She also said she wormed her with Ivermec Plus three times. That would have taken care of the parasites that would have causes Bottle Jaw. Unless it is Coccidiosis which I highly doubt.

btw I just went back and saw the pictures and I do not think it is CL either. Not in the right area and it doesn't really sound like CL either. You also said it was white and not sticky. I highly doubt it is CL. That doesn't mean she still doesn't have CL though, as you know, but these are not signs of CL.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
At least it burst and you can care for it now. Did the vet say how long to use the iodine? You don't want to do it for too long since that will keep the wound from healing from the inside. Usually just 2 or 3 days of the iodine should do it. But follow whatever the vet told you to do.