Taste of Goat Meat

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It has its own flavor. I think some people say it is like lamb but I don't know since I haven't had lamb in years. It is a mild flavor.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I dunno yet, either. I'm just about brave enough now to take a road trip to this restaurant that was on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives in KY that serves goat curry...but not quite.

I am, after all, eating deer now, which I haven't been able to eat since my vegan tour in high school...

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Goat is a wonderful meat!! Mild flavor like beef and no real gamy taste like deer or lamb. Sometimes can be tough but makes a great curry stew. BBQ's very nice. Try some you will be hooked. I do not butcher but can get it done for about $60 ...cut, packed, labeled and frozen.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The taste will depend directly on what the animal has been fed and wether or not it is an actual "market Animal" or an older culled animal. A market wether, to me, tastes alot like venison and has the same sort of "texture". I have never tried anything other than a market wether but I would assume that anything else wouldn't be quite as good. We, my family, like the meat but don't eat it often because I can sell them for more than they are worth in the frying pan and We prefer beef/pork. Its worth a try

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I have meat from a 5 year old goat in my freezer. While it is a bit tougher, we have found it to be no worse than a cheap piece of beef. Made chops the other night and just put some sea salt and rosemary on it and then cooked it on my Cuisinart Griddler Gourmet. Meat turned out great and juicy.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We cooked up various bits of a 2yr old buck over the past 3-4 months and while tougher it was no worse texture wise then an older deer. Do I prefer yearling doe venison, yes. If a 3-4 yr old buck is what the neighbor drops off... that's what goes in the freezer.

I think that within any species you will find a range of flavors and textures depending on the age, feed and condition at time of processing.

And don't get me started on my last trip to Outback which resulted in a steak that can only be labeled as beef flavored chewing gum. I felt like I was dining with Willy Wonka. And it would have been a great diet food. You chew it and chew it and it keeps releasing flavor but it NEVER breaks down.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
And don't get me started on my last trip to Outback which resulted in a steak that can only be labeled as beef flavored chewing gum. I felt like I was dining with Willy Wonka. And it would have been a great diet food. You chew it and chew it and it keeps releasing flavor but it NEVER breaks down.
:lol:

I order steak in a restaurant about twice a year. The last time reminded me why this is... :sick

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have cooked meat from one year old wethers. Delicious. Like tender beef if cooked right. Needs to be cooked slow in liquid not to be tough as it has no fat. We like it like pot roast with all the vegies and I made a dish (deboned and shredded the meat)in the crockpot with a peanut sauce (Thai flavored) that was a huge hit here over rice. My grandson who is 5 says his favorite meat is goat then 2nd favorite home grown rabbit.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I made an honest attempt to eat some once. A friend butchered a wether she'd bought from me and had sausage made.

Sausage? That doesn't "look" like goat...I can probably do that.

On the way to my mouth, my brain was screaming, "That's Creampuff's kid you're getting ready to chew up."

Just couldn't do it....so I'm no help.