Taste of Goat Meat

collector

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A freind of mine had two goats butchered a year or so ago and gave us some chops. I really thought they were good, better than deer and I love venison.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I made an honest attempt to eat some once. A friend butchered a wether she'd bought from me and had sausage made.

Sausage? That doesn't "look" like goat...I can probably do that.

On the way to my mouth, my brain was screaming, "That's Creampuff's kid you're getting ready to chew up."

Just couldn't do it....so I'm no help.
LOL! I keep telling my family that if it doesn't have a "name" then I'm sure I can eat it...be it goat, chicken, whatever. But now you got me thinking about it's mom or dad having a name! :barnie

Haven't got up the nerve yet...but all of my critters have names! It'll be generations of no names for me to eat one now!

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've had it from 2 different local farms and it is awesome! It was like veal to me. I had a shoulder roast that I did a rub on and smoked on the grill. Then recently I had burgers. I sold all of my bucklings this yr, but will definately wether and keep them to butcher next yr.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I love goat smoked whole in a roaster, like many people cook a pig. Nice and lean with lots of flavor. No greasy BBQ, just nice lean red meat.

The key to goat is cooking it properly. It is lean and dries out easily.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I made an honest attempt to eat some once. A friend butchered a wether she'd bought from me and had sausage made.

On the way to my mouth, my brain was screaming, "That's Creampuff's kid you're getting ready to chew up."

:lol:

I butchered my first cull rooster a couple months ago and it was near impossible to enjoy eating it. My rational brain new it was delicious, but it tasted like emotional trauma to me... My emotional trauma, not the rooster's.

The next one I had someone else kill and I just cleaned and cooked it. THEN it was delicious and no aftertaste of emotional scarring in the slightest. :lol:

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Roll farms said:

That's what I'm afraid of. :( I'm thinking that I'm going to see their little faces as I'm chewing on them.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Take it from someone who would have never believed I could eat something off my farm, it is possible. I was one of those people who ate meat but would never think to butcher anything that I raised. I'm also involved in animal rescue and grew up in the suburbs. This was the first year to take animals to the butcher. We didn't do any ourselves because we just don't have the nerve yet. The first time eating the meat was hard but it tasted so good. It gets easier and easier with each piece of meat you take out of the freezer.

The other thing that I think about is the number of animals that are being neglected. I would rather my animals in my freezer than being severely neglected at someone else's and then finding out about it. I would be devastated to find out one of my animals slowly starved to death or died from being left in the elements or with no water.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
See, there's where raising "meat goats" is hard for me at all.
My head knows that most of these kids end up being eaten...but I pretend I don't know.

I think it's because I considered goats as pets when I got my first one, so for me it'd be like eating a dog or cat.

We butchered (and ate) our first roo this past year...and we've had chickens for 17 years! That didn't bother me, we'd just never done it, because it seemed like too much work to pluck them.
We skinned this guy and it was easy as pie.

I've raised pigs from runt bottle babies and eaten them....I loves me some pork...

I just don't consider goats as meat.

Please don't tell the 'real' goat farmers....:hide

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll..we generally buy feeder pigs but we just had our first litter of piglets. I think we will name the ones we keep bacon, ham and sausage :/ Same with the goats, I've eaten them but not our babies, but this year we are not naming any boys what we wether, as Patrick is a good size wether born last spring and still in the barn.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Well, the one animal I couldn't eat is rabbit. So I'm sure others have a particular animal/meat that they just can't eat. I'm not sure I will be able to take any of my Nigerians to the butcher. I'm hoping that they all sell.