teaching a goat to lead

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pardon... Jeffers called it a goat "halter" that may help when you look it up...Im not sure if its something you may want...it is a differant design than the poly rope type...Alot of these halters are at local feed stores...but it will give you an idea anyway...a place to start. Then you can choose what works for you...Good luck...happy training...:)

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
A trick you might try (could work, might not) is to start walking forward with her slowly, and if she gets faster than you want, or pulls, make her stop, back up a couple of steps, and stand for a minute, reward her if she stands calmly, then try again.
This is good advice...cuz thats exactly what I did with my buck...and he's done fabulous...raisins are my treat for them...my guys love them...only for special treats..while learning etc...goats are bright..and they do like to keep busy...I have trained some to pack for hikes and stayed with us for the day...they were thrilled to have something to do...

FlipFlopFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
one concept to put in your database when teaching any animal to do anything, is to reward by stopping. When teaching young horses, as that is what i work with most, when they take a step in the correct direction towards the desirable behavior, pause, and or stop for the day so they understand that is what you wanted them to do. If they exhibit the correct behavior and you keep making them do it over and over in the same session, they will often times get frustrated and fight. goats are intelligent and aim to please most of the time, so give them a break as a reward in for progress.

bettybohemian

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you are handy with sewing machine they are pretty simple to whip up. I just googled 'goat halters' to get an idea of how they are supposed to fit. I then made them with leftover fabric scraps. At the point where the lead rope part would be I attached an 0 ring (walmart 75 cents for 2) and hook on my dog leashea since I have many of thoses around. You can also braid together bailing twine to make one (man, good ol versatile baling twine).

Good luck to the both of us