teat plug? UPDATE, pics added

Araylee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do all goats have white tips at the end of their teats? Mine do and I can't tell if it's the plug or just a coloration thing?

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like a plug.

My doe just kidded and her babies tried to nurse but I seen they were still in so I brushed them out w/ my finger nail and the kids got milk. I read they are there to keep stuff out of the udder to prevent infection so I would leave them alone.

Oh and they came out pretty easy so I dont think it is something that you would normally have to do......I did it b/c I had to hold her so the kids could nurse and I wanted them to get milk right away.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Probably just the waxy plug. I always remove them right when the doe is done kidding - gives the kids one less challenge.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Probably just the waxy plug. I always remove them right when the doe is done kidding - gives the kids one less challenge.
:thumbsup

Araylee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Soooo...do all does HAVE a waxy plug or just the pregnant ones? My doe who is otherwise teensy tiny and looks maybe a tiny bit deeper from top to bottom...frankly, doesn't look pregnant...also has these?
Hubby and I went out to feed goats last weekend and noticed that they both looked like they were "leaking milk" when we saw them.The for-sure preggers girl is due April 8, the almost-certainly not preggers doe, April 1.
Too bad human pregnancy tests test for HUMAN gonadotropin hormone, or you betcha I'd be out there with a pee stick!

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
;) not all of mine have had it, but the biggest part has, that's why you need to strip it after they kid

Araylee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
this is the one that's definitely preggers:
2423_img_1925.jpg

This is the one I'm thinking isn't: (sorry the picture quality isn't great but you can still see the white ends...she is VERY VERY HAIRY which makes it hard to see!)

2423_abra.jpg

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have they ever kidded before? On my unbred does all I could feel was teats only....then 2 or 3 months bred their udder begins to feel puffy or fat lol. On a FF it is easier to tell GL!

Araylee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
_sonshine_ said:
Have they ever kidded before? On my unbred does all I could feel was teats only....then 2 or 3 months bred their udder begins to feel puffy or fat lol. On a FF it is easier to tell GL!
Nope they would be first fresheners-clearly the one with the developing udder is preggers, but the other one doesn't look like it. But there is still a teeny part of me that wonders if she is hiding a small kid underneath her belly-it seems like she's gotten kind of round and full toward the back. Sigh. I guess we are going with not pregnant and we'll hope for twin does from the one that is!:p I was just curious if even the open, never-bred does had the plug at the end, or if it was only on the does that had been bred/kidded before.