Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
They’ll train the same way as the sheep. They just have to adjust to the routine.
!00% correct. We have 99% of our cattle trained to come to call with a little grain as an enticement. Seriously, at any pasture, we might have one or 2 that is slow to come, and FINALLY got rid of one old cow that I just hated because she would do what she wanted, WHEN SHE WANTED. But it doesn't take but a few times and ours will come to call, even without a bucket. But if I am going to call them, I like to give them a "reward" for coming. And it teaches the calves that it is good to come when someone calls them.
You figure we have anywhere from 10 cow calf pairs to as many as 40 c/cf pairs at a pasture and we can get them in and "caught up" in about 10-15 minutes at most any pasture. You'll get them to that point quickly with as good as you treat your animals.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was the first time we have moved them but they'll get better.
crackforcows.jpg

it's like crack for cows...they'll follow you anywhere.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It goes by different names....Range cubes/cattle cubes/calling cubes/hay stretcher cubes/'cake'.
Comes in different protein %. 12-14-20-30-35% and up...it just depends what you want or need. 1/2" or 3/4" diameter.
It's a supplementary feed, used most of the time to give the cows a little protein boost and get them used to you and used to going where you are. Not intended to be used as full feed or finisher.
Primary ingredient is usually CSM.
Easy to feed. You pour it on the ground in a long string or in small piles....since you only have 2 steers, you can feed it in anything. Believe me.. they won't waste any.

cowcrack2.jpg