Thanks for letting me join. Looking forward to learning a lot here. This is me and my girls.

Smoke House

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_7787.png

Smoke House

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you!! I live in Perdido, AL located in SouthWest Alabama about an hour North of the Beaches. Currently don’t have any critters, as we are waiting on our house being built to be finished on our property. Soon as we get settled I’m gonna start out with a couple pigs for butchering. I’m currently working on clearing my pasture/feed pen for finishing out a steer or two a year. I have a big family that likes to eat meat.😂 I joined to hopefully have questions answered and professional guidance, as I’m gonna be new raising the animals my self.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is your lucky day! My late husband and I retired to northeast Texas on 8 acres. I got busy raising feeder pigs and chronicled my adventures with a new thread each year.

After he died, I sold that farm, moved further south to Trinity county and bought 25 acres. I raise Katahdin hair sheep and have Anatolian Shepherds for livestock guard dogs. So far, I’ve gotten 2 fields out of 3, fenced in sheep and goat wire, which I heartily recommend. It has 4” “holes” and will hold small livestock. Most people will run electric hot wire on the inside to keep their animals off the fence, for greater security.

I’ve been here 2 years, but have not built a pig pen. This place needs tons of work and I don’t want to add new animals until I have this whole place under fence and a couple of barns built. Lately, my neighbor has put up a hog trap and I take every one I can get. He passes the “wealth” around, there are people glad to get the free meat. Today I’m processing a feral 200 pound young boar. I thought about posting a tutorial and I think I’ll do that. I’ve been sending pictures to a friend that just did his first slaughter yesterday and has no idea how to cut it up for meat.

I’ll go find my feeder pig threads and post them for you. I finally got it right and built a Pig Palace.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here ya go, in chronological order.

Now you can read until you are crossed! LOL
I did find that raising pigs in the garden spot did a good job of enriching the sandy soil we had. Likewise on pasture, except they rooted up and ate a lot of the grass. But all in all, I liked my Pig Palace best.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs eating grass & root in a garden is great!! Horse pasture, not so much 🤣. I've been converting a patch of pasture to garden for 3 yrs -- almost successful. This winter I'm strongly thinking pig to dig the root base for me😄 oh, yeah, freezer fill, too.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You’ll find a ton of collective ideas, solid friends and helpful advice here. It’s the best community on the internet