The Chance To Buy A Stallion

Shell

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My mother-in-law had her Haflinger stallion for sale, as she is cutting back on horses and only keeping 2 for riding. Max is a 14hh big old style Haflinger who was bred and raised by the Amish. He has helped start young horses on farm equipment and wagons and is just a well broke driving and riding horse. He is beautiful and also produces wonderful foals. Mostly fillies too. I have ridden him and really like him a lot. I have drooled over him for years now and have wished I had a stallion like him forever. He has good conformation and a GREAT temperment. He is a sweet, sweet boy. I feel I just can't afford him. I have all kinds of plans for him if I were to bite the bullet and get him, but would he be also to pay for him self in stud fees? The horse market is down badly now so would buying him be a real investment, or just another mouth to feed?

l_6cc8c156c760c1e6832e7a1405182808.jpg

l_165141050c5044c6b9cb14c6dbda60b9.jpg

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
He's just gorgeous!

I'm pretty sure you know my thoughts on the matter!
When you gonna go get him?

Shell

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know!
My MIL wants to deliver him in the fall. So, I guess I need to get Catalina (Max's daughter that I own) rideable so I can get more money for her. :rolleyes:
If I do buy him, I will have no mares to breed him to my self. Well, I will have one very old mare and 3 geldings. ;) That is good AND bad in a way. No foals to sell, BUT no foals to worry about selling either. Only stud fees to worry about. I would have to find out about how to do shipped semen for Max for sure. That could be a good thing. :p Decissions decissions!! :barnie

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Shell said:
I know!
My MIL wants to deliver him in the fall. So, I guess I need to get Catalina (Max's daughter that I own) rideable so I can get more money for her. :rolleyes:
If I do buy him, I will have no mares to breed him to my self. Well, I will have one very old mare and 3 geldings. ;) That is good AND bad in a way. No foals to sell, BUT no foals to worry about selling either. Only stud fees to worry about. I would have to find out about how to do shipped semen for Max for sure. That could be a good thing. :p Decissions decissions!! :barnie
In the fall?
That's like a million years away!

Countrymom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Considering the horse market, I know of many owners that are gelding their stallions, giving away foals, and had no mares booked for 2009 breeding season. Doesn't look much better for 2010.

Consider the fencing and extra care you have to put into a stallion - even the sweetest of studs.

With all that said, he is a pretty boy.

silverfilly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I just finaly made it over here from BYC and found a horse section! YAY! I wanted to coment that he is beautifull! Id get him too! I actually raise arabians but I have always wanted a tennessee walker, well I was in the same boat, found an awsome stud heck of a pedigree and a show record. And he was cheep, The market is down but someday it will comeback up im sure. Even so I bought him, I dont have a mare for him but Im not breeding right now anyway, no foals this year and no foals next year :( But I wanted him and I had a place to keep him, yes he is just anouther mouth to feed but I love him and I love to ride him. Even if I dont get breedings booked for him I can still take him to 1 day shows around here and have fun with him. With horses you must buy with your hart and not expect to make much income these days.

Shell

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would not expect much of an income from him. I would have only geldings and a 26 y/o mare here who does not cycle any more. So, there would be no breeding for him. I personally feel that if you do own a stallion, you DON'T HAVE to breed him. It is not a requirement. If you keep him occupied in other ways, he will just be a nice horse, IMO. ;)

mousejockey

Just born
Reaction score
I think for my advice I get to bring my mare to him!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

He is gorgeous!!!!

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
if there is a demand in your area for stable sturdy working horses (cart or like you said farm equipment) i think he would be an excellent purchase. i would love to have a pure or haflinger cross since they make excellent riding and cart horses. stallions fertility is for quite a long time so if the horse market turns around even in the next couple years he could bring you some money but in the mean time you could have a fantastic riding horse. since you would be getting rid of one horse for another your upkeep wouldn't be any higher unless you decided to get a few mares to breed. if his price isn't too steep as in you would have to have him studded out to justify buying him i would go for it

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's stunning!!!

With the economy, I wouldn't expect much from stud fees although you could use him as your personal herd sire