There is a goat in our n'hood that needs a lifestyle upgrade...help!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
This is probably going to sound cruel or mean, but....I'd abort her.

One of these days you might be in a position to want to bottle feed and you can breed her then, but for right now, she's in no shape to be carrying babies. She needs to be able to focus on getting herself well and putting on a little condition for winter..

Seriously...if it were me, I'd just call the vet and say "Gimme a shot of something to abort this doe." Could as simple as a shot of lutalyse or dexamethasone..

Sorry she came back CAE+.. You did a really good thing by rescuing her. Having CAE certainly isn't her fault, and no animal deserves to be cast off like that -- especially one like her that's so obviously accustomed to human contact and was probably treated well before being rejected.

She's a beautiful girl. :) :hugs

Did you ask the vet about a scrip for generic carprofen by any chance? Might be of some help for her arthritis...
I agree that if she were here, I would not allow her to have kids. It takes too much out of a doe when she needs the nurishment herself right now.

She is beautiful and I applaud you for giving her a loving home. She's one lucky girl.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
lilhill said:
I agree that if she were here, I would not allow her to have kids. It takes too much out of a doe when she needs the nurishment herself right now.
Yep.. For this one in particular, I'd actually be more than a little concerned about her getting pregnancy toxemia from being so thin going into her last three months of gestation.

Honestly might be saving her life by aborting the pregnancy.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you vet does ultrasounds, I would probably do an ultrasound to see if she is even pregnant. I prefer not to shoot up my girls with hormones if I don't need to. I had one female alpaca have a bad experience with estrumate when I aborted her. She just didn't recover well from the abortion and took months to get back to normal.

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to agree that I would abort the doe and I almost never say that. She needs to be taking care of herself not kids right now and first and foremost all of her nutrient intake is going to them with extras going to her. Also, she will grieve the loss of them when you pull them from her due to the CAE. And you run the risk of missing the delivery and having the kids get infected.
All around, I just think it would be easier and better for Gabby to just be done with it and get aborted.

What a poor girl. She looks so sweet and you did a great thing by rescuing her. Thank You for getting her out of there and taking proper care of her.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
This is probably going to sound cruel or mean, but....I'd abort her.

One of these days you might be in a position to want to bottle feed and you can breed her then, but for right now, she's in no shape to be carrying babies. She needs to be able to focus on getting herself well and putting on a little condition for winter..

Seriously...if it were me, I'd just call the vet and say "Gimme a shot of something to abort this doe." Could as simple as a shot of lutalyse or dexamethasone..

Sorry she came back CAE+.. You did a really good thing by rescuing her. Having CAE certainly isn't her fault, and no animal deserves to be cast off like that -- especially one like her that's so obviously accustomed to human contact and was probably treated well before being rejected.

She's a beautiful girl. :) :hugs

Did you ask the vet about a scrip for generic carprofen by any chance? Might be of some help for her arthritis...
This was a consideration that I discussed with the vet. It is a realistic option considering the circumstances. It was decided that she is too far along to be chemically aborted, and would require a full D&C, anesthesia, and several hundred dollars that we don't really have...

Dr. Sara feels her weight gain is good - and she is on the right track...and there is the possibility that she is not pregnant (we can hope!). So, we are proceeding.

When she comes again in 2 weeks (Gabby needs some booster for a vaccine she received 2 weeks ago) she will be bringing me an apothacary of meds that I can keep on hand for her flare ups. Right now, she's not in too much pain - just the occasional limping on that back left leg. I have horses, so I know I'll recognize signs of discomfort.

You're right - I'm sure she was dumped because of her CAE status. Poor girl...she's so sweet. It does make me feel good to know that she'll never be hungry again, and she'll never have to live with chronic pain.

Who knew how much one can love a goat!

JoieDeViveRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well then, let's keep our hooves crossed that she is not pregnant and if she is, at least you have a great vet on hand and you are a smart woman who I have no doubt will handle the situation to the best of your ability :)

Don't stress. It's all ok. You did a wonderful taking her in and I love the idea of finding her a CAE+ companion down the road.
Gabby will always be greatful to you for rescuing her.
Now if we could just get this mans other animals away from him! Those poor horses...

:hugs

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support and info - it has really, really been (and will continue to be) helpful. You guys are great!

I wish I'd gotten her a little (a lot!) sooner...so much of this would have been avoided.

I have to tell you all, that before her (Gabby) I had put a ban on goats at our barn. NO GOATS ALLOWED!!!

At the barn where I used to board my show horses, the trainer had a tiny little hellion of a goat. That PIA hollered if you shut her in a stall. She hollared if you left her alone outside, she hollered if she wanted to (which she did).

I got a brand new car - the first one I ever bought on my own...I was SO proud! That flippin' goat jumped on the hood of my car, saw her reflection in my windshiled, butted it and shattered it. My car was 23 hours old! I was SO mad!

She was pushy, ill-mannered, and an all around nuisance...always in the way while working a horse, in the driveway where cars pass by, knocking down kids. What can I say? She was a PAIN - even though it wasn't her fault, I really learned to dis-like her, and I transfered that to all goats as she was my only reference point.

My husband was the one who wanted me to get Gabby out of her miserable living conditions...he really pushed for it daily for several weeks - so I have to credit him with saving her.

But now I'm the one who is smitten! She is such a joy to have around...she is my (nearly) silent shadow as I do my chores. She follows me like a little satellite and eats what she wants when she wants (for now!) She lays down outside the arena and watches when I ride - she seemed genuinely surprised the first time she saw me on a horse's back! If a goat's jaw could hit the floor, that's what hers would have done :D !

She climbs on the picnic tables...but she takes a look around and then she's on to something else. She figures if the chickens are allowed on the table, so is she! I recommend place mats if any of you come over for lunch!

She comes running when she realizes I'm there, and her ears are like the wings of an airplane - only floppy! She also comes running if she's lost sight of me around a corner.

She's decided that Siggy (my Norwegian Fjord) is good company if I'm not around...they were both stretched out in the sun today for a nap. Siggy couldn't be more thrilled to have a friend as Daisy and Stanley (our other horses) maintain a great disdain for Siggy and his juvenile antics (he's just 6).

I hope this disease doesn't shorten her life too much. We already have fallen in love with this silly-eared goat...and it will be a sad day....

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kelly G said:

She climbs on the picnic tables...but she takes a look around and then she's on to something else. She figures if the chickens are allowed on the table, so is she! I recommend place mats if any of you come over for lunch!

She comes running when she realizes I'm there, and her ears are like the wings of an airplane - only floppy! She also comes running if she's lost sight of me around a corner.

I hope this disease doesn't shorten her life too much. We already have fallen in love with this silly-eared goat...and it will be a sad day....
Running and climbing...that's a good thing to hear of a goat with CAE.

:D