They're Here!

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My sweet Alex had two bucklings tonight! All went well but I have one question. Along with Mamma and her new boys I have an almost one year old doe and I'm not sure if I need to separate her from the bucklings. She's already butted the little one once and I don't know if she'll be jealous/bossy/pushy or if they'll all get along just fine.

Probably something I just need to watch but would love some words of experience...

And to encourage you I have a couple of pictures!

1331_dscn2435.jpg

1331_dscn2434.jpg

1331_dscn2431.jpg

1331_dscn2418.jpg

Actually, another question - I plan on separating dam and kids at night so I can milk her in the mornings. How long should I wait before I do that? She's a first freshener FWIW.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I can't answer your questions, but that darker fellow is just about too cute! He looks like a gremlin in that first pic, lol. His markings make him look like he is smiling from every angle.........I'd have to name him Happy!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww...adorable!!! Congratulations :) I would take out the one year old butting them...these little newborns don't need that. I know nothing about milking goats, so hope someone answers you on that one.

How cute they are!!!!

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Give the boys time with momma to bond for at least 5 days before letting them out with the other doe. Then play it by ear. By 5 days, mine are usually big and strong enough to run away if someone's being rude. You also want mom, especially a FF mom, to have bonding time with the boys so she doesn't ignore them once she's free to roam.

Wait at least 2 weeks to milk mom, maybe longer. As a FF, she may not have the production to support both milking and nursing 2 boys.

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! That's good information.

Now I have another question. Both kids nursed a couple of times briefly last night but I haven't seen them nurse since. This morning I've tried to put them on her teat but they just cry at me. Should I keep trying or since they know where it is they'll find it again on their own?

oh, and their birth weights - The little one was 3 lbs 5 oz and the bigger one was 4 lbs 8 oz. That's a little on the big side for Nigerian Dwarf Goats, isn't it?

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1littlefarmer said:
Thanks! That's good information.

Now I have another question. Both kids nursed a couple of times briefly last night but I haven't seen them nurse since. This morning I've tried to put them on her teat but they just cry at me. Should I keep trying or since they know where it is they'll find it again on their own?

oh, and their birth weights - The little one was 3 lbs 5 oz and the bigger one was 4 lbs 8 oz. That's a little on the big side for Nigerian Dwarf Goats, isn't it?
beautiful kids... I would just watch them to make sure they are nursing, chances are they have been nursing on and off all night and they are full and telling you so.

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hillsvale said:
beautiful kids... I would just watch them to make sure they are nursing, chances are they have been nursing on and off all night and they are full and telling you so.
That's what I was hoping. I have a web cam in their stall so I'll keep an eye on them.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Momma should protect them as long as she is with the babies she will set the one year old straight pretty quick.

Latest posts