Today, just as the sun began it's journey across the sky...

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
A new life began as well.

Today, at 7:20 this morning, my beautiful cow, Martha, had her calf! It was one of the most beautiful and spiritual experiences of my life. It always is, no matter how many times I see it.

It's so difficult to describe the feeling. The air was still chilled from the night and the cold light of the stars, and frost tipped the grass and the backs of the cattle. People driving down the road, oblivious to the small island of euphoria that had just formed over the peaceful farm.

The electricity of the morning was mingled with the magic of new life, and the comical tumbling of the new baby black heifer. Proud Mama stood by, dutifully licking the membranes off the calf's head and shoulders. A small crows of curious cows stopped by to welcome the new arrival, while Daddy Cow looked at me threateningly, warning me to stay out of the pasture.

Just as little black heifer managed to get to her feet for the first time, Will gave her a congratulatory headbutt, consequently knocking her down.

Tabby (cat from my avatar) came by to congratulate Martha and her newborn. Could sense the excitement. He was literally jumping with joy, putting his front paws on my leg and nuzzling my hand. We watched together as the new heifer took a drink of life-giving mother's first milk.

My mind was on the subject of names. I cooed nonsense to Tabby as I thought. That was when a flock of handsome robins flew by, and the perfect name hit me.

I will post pictures of the adorable black heifer, newly named Robin, as soon as I get back. I'm going with my mom and sibling on a vacation. I'm not entirely sure I want to go during calving season, but I'm seeing some close family and it's really important to me. My dad is staying behind to keep an eye on the calf. :D

For those of you who are interested, the calf is about 65 pounds, by the look of her, her belt is perfect, and she is adventurous, playful and killer cute! :love

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
congrats on that fine new heifer calf.have a safe fun visit with your family.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Congrats on the new baby!
I like the way you wrote of the event!

We watched my Babbet heifer calve the other night. As soon as the calve hit the ground, the valley exploded with the sound of yipping of coyotes.
I just hope it was perfect timing and not some bizarre omen!

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
thewife said:
Congrats on the new baby!
I like the way you wrote of the event!
Finally! Someone commented on that! :celebrate I'm glad you liked it!

We watched my Babbet heifer calve the other night. As soon as the calve hit the ground, the valley exploded with the sound of yipping of coyotes.
I just hope it was perfect timing and not some bizarre omen!
Coyotes? Usually, there's nothing to worry about them. Unless they're like ours, and they've crossed with red wolves. :he

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
We lost a calf to coyotes a few years ago. When they start yipping in the valley, the sound is amazing. Since we were in the big metal barn that night, it really amplified it.

Rumor has it, there are wolves not far from here. But I found out who started the rumor, and to put it nicely, I have to question what he was on when he supposedly heard them.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
congrats! Finally!
I can't believe your going on vacation, and leaving us all here wondering what the little tyke looks like. thanks for nothing.........:barnie
Whaen are you coming home? Hope it's not like, 2 weeks from now! LOL. Have a great trip, we'll be here when you get back. :)

Latest posts